Mid-Season Update in Gaspé.. - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Mid-Season Update in Gaspé..

Hello friends,

Hope you are all enjoying your fishing this season.

The Gaspé rivers are presently high ( slowly dropping), but offering great fishing!

I would say, today is like mid-June levels... We are even fishing sector 6 on the York ( which we usuually drop by early July!).

Just to re-assure you all, even though some retention gates have dropped during the rise....
Let us not forget all the downstream pools held fish, even before the gates existed.
Fish have not spread the word, "lets get out of here the gate is down!! "
Also, even though some gates are still not back in place, not all salmon take off above the gates.
Some back up a little and some go, but not all.

The St--Jean is offering great Canoe beats presently.... and the York is holding fish
in the usual sectors. ( Can't give you all my secrets!)

Catch rates on the York are even higher than last season!
Also, the Dartmouth has a higher count of large salmon than last season!!

Okay!! Two more months to go for us!!

Sorry for our long absence!! We were fishing for fish!!

Ann

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 08-01-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Ann,

That's encouraging news! Thanks for the update and for sharing the lovely photos.

regards,
Ian.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM

Just returned from a few days in Gaspe. Fished the York Sat and the St.-Jean Sun morning for a few hours before everything became unfishable. Missed 1 fish on Saturday and landed (and released) one salmon on Sunday with about 1.5 foot of visibility remaining. We were going to fish a third day, but with the water conditions the way they were it was futile! Maybe next time....

Thanks again for those that suggested some flies for my trip!

Pete Addison
Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM

It is a couple weeks late to ask these questions BUT here goes.

What were the mid-season count numbers for Salmon and Grilse In the York, Dartmouth and St Jean?? Is there a place to view the actual numbers??

Is there a C&R mandate on these rivers if the spawning escapment is not met or in Danger??

I have noticed that true to form immediately after the 21st of June, many fish were taken on the York. And Of course Right after the 15th of July, Many fish were taken from the Dartmouth. (when it was low water).

I saw a site where the Dartmouth had only 530 fish, didn't they have like 800 last season?? What is the comparisons with recent history?? And what if they keep taking them??
Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 PM

The major difference in most rivers with last year is the number of grilses. Most rivers has a much lower count on grilse, but an number in the same range or better than last year for salmon. We see some strange things this season, just for example, this week end, my friend and I hooked 9 fish, only 3 grilses, balance were salmon and some with sea lice...We are mid august and still in good run of big salmon which is unusual...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM

Unusual to hook 9 fish in a weekend in two days for sure. I also noted a high percentage of salmon to grilse this season from viewing the catches only. But this reply does not answer the basic question. Are the midseason count numbers available and are the spawning numbers SOLID For the future in the York Dartmouth and St. Jean?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 AM

If the river is still open and not in C & R, it means that the count is OK. For the moment, I would be much more anxious with what happened with young salmons with the flood last week. It seems to be a record flood. It is similar with what happened in Saguenay in 1996, they lost all the young salmon in the 4 rivers, and in 2007, they are still on recovery...I am afraid that we will see the same thing on the Dartmouth...

Last edited by Salar36; 08-14-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.