Dog Days and Opportunities - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Dog Days and Opportunities

The end of July and August are the dog days and fishing success in our traditional areas is marginal. What to do?
1. Bait in the form of sand eels and baby bunker are king for the shore fishermen. Boats give you access to tinker macs, squid and sea herring and deep water. No bait, no fish. Gotta move.
2. Water temps. If the water is not in the 60s or lower, forget it. Water temps in the 70s may give you some schoolie action, but the big girls prefer cooler temps.
3. Find moving water. As everyone knows, current disorients and traps bait. Gotta have it.
4. Tides. Depending on the location, tides are important. Most estuaries and tidal creeks fish best on outgoing tides, at the right location.
5. Moon phase. New and full moon tides are king. The high tides flush areas of bait and replenish them. Greater currents in this phase(s) of the moon are known to the predators. It is liking ringing the dinner bell.
6. Low light. Bass enter shallow areas during this time. In particular, big tides, low light or dark are primo.

All is not lost in the dog days. Chime in for what I've been remiss in outlining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's quite a list...

one item to add is ocean beaches this time of year

the blues are in the surf now along with the bass but there is no lack of bait or cool water for the fish to indulge in... if you can fish around the seals and mung

another is geography

bunker are already turning the water black further south so you don't have to wait you can drive to the action

for the boater this is lazy man fishing time, just mooch a fly on a sinking line in the rips

by the time we finish contemplating this thread the bunker will be reaching the cape
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
President of CAC

Well, It was slow for me, Craig and Fly doc yesterday at North Monomoy. I got one striper and Craig two Blues.... we did not see a fish and the waters and tides were perfect... even saw some birds diving here and there... Warren stayed over at CAC last night and we were to head to the Bayside with Flydoc at 4:30 am. I slept in. FishHawk and his wife came by tonight for a cookout and Shadfreak called from Brewster. Looks like Bill and I will head out to South Beach tomorrow and check that out. BTW... there were only 4 flyfishermen on North yesterday.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM

At peak flow that spot will work out well tell Fishhawk I told him so
Old 07-30-2007, 04:27 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Bayside is definitely where the action is these days...met up with Warren before the crack of dawn Sunday for my first ever Bayside excursion...waded out at the very end of the outgoing to a channel that extends from the mouth of a creek...fished the remainder of the outgoing and the first couple hours of the incoming before moving up onto shallow flats closer to shore....caught two (including one that looked very close to keeper size) and lost one...Warren caught at least one...saw plenty more, including numerous fish in very shallow (just over our ankles) water on the incoming, pushing bait up against the edges of sandbars or just cruising the flats in search of a meal...some so shallow you could see the dorsal fin above the water as they swam about....could see those despite having stupidly left my sunglasses in the truck...bugged out with Warren just after 8 so we could get our trucks out of the lot before they started checking stickers at 9..spotted more fish in close to the shoreline (?blues?). Overall, a much more productive (although shorter) outing than the one to N Monomoy with John and Craig the day before (but great company on both occasions)....know John will be kicking himself in the arse after reading this for not having dragged his tired carcass out of bed at 3:30 AM so he could get there with Warren and myself.....next time, big buddy! Also picture Juro drooling all over his shoes at the mention of tailing stipers in ankle deep water....just call the place "Acklins North"....
On duty this weekend, but definitely planning on getting back out there the following weekend (?Rip Trip?).
Flydoc

Last edited by flydoc; 07-30-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striblue
Warren stayed over at CAC last night and we were to head to the Bayside with Flydoc at 4:30 am. I slept in.

If you hadn't arranged for the exclusive CAC private screening of The Last Samurai we may have gotten to bed a a decent hour What a great film.

Doc told me where to meet up with him & was surprised to find out it was a place I had sniffed out on my own last year but did not fish yet. I was not disappointed with the result. To see big (36 inch) tailing stripers in 6 inches of water makes your heart stop and forces you to loose all sense of reality. Now I just have to figure out how to hook them up. I had fun Doc.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
President of CAC

Flydoc...I would love to drool except I went to SB with Fish Hawk today and South Beach is back. Lets just say Bill and I had multiple hookups and saw many fish on the flats...lots of bait and the fog did not hurt. We left on the 1 pm ferry because of potential T-Storms.... with the incoming and catching on the way back to the Ferry as well... we both will be back.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc
Also picture Juro drooling all over his shoes at the mention of tailing stipers in ankle deep water....just call the place "Acklins North".... Flydoc
Doc -

Ummm.... where do you think I've been lately?

Seen a lot of that over there, never more than when the flounder fry are around but it never gets old!

Mayor, fishhawk -

Told ya so.

Hope Gary does well with you.

Well off to the northwest soon... bunker should be showing in the homewaters when I get back down there.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

John- glad you and Bill were able to find fish after the somewhat disappointing outing we had on Monomoy on Saturday....did the "guzzle" have a role in your success, or was it more the continued southerly winds? Did you catch any on the outside, or mostly on the flats? Did the seals give you any grief?

Juro- and to think I've lived here now for nearly 5 years, and that was the first time I've ever fished the Bayside...almost makes me wanna cry at the thought of all those fish I might have caught there over the last 4 seasons

Warren- looking forward to hitting that spot again the weekend of the 11th...maybe we'll be more successful this time at getting his excellency the Mayor to join us
Flydoc

P.S.- John and Warren- rechecked the town website- 1 wk parking permits are $50, and season long permits $125 (permits needed 9AM-3 PM daily through end of Labor Day weekend)
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 PM

Doc, why don't you buy the pass & we will ride over with you

I dunno if I can make it down on the 11th Doc. I just found out my service truck needs a head gasket so I may be playing diesel mechanic that weekend...or not. Time will tell
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
President of CAC

Jim... all were on the inside. All along the inside. The water was colder too, the wind SW and the fog was probably helpful.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM

I was also on the Brewster flats Sun A.M. It was an amazing sight seeing all those tails waving in the air. Alot of weed in the water so I tried a small gurgler with limited success. Tried a small clouser next, and with a long fast strip if I didn't pick up weed I usually hooked up. They were on small sand eels and could be very slective at times.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 AM

I found fish during the dog days.

I just came back from the Cape and had a very good week of fishing despite the Dog Days. I caught fish in the bright sunlight and on a incoming tide at a UDL that often gets over looked in the Summer.
Tide was incoming and the water was very cold. Plenty of bait and current.
My plan was to check out the bait fish nursery before fishing this spot to see if there was any bait around. Through the thick fog I could see a lot of dimples and breaking bait fish. So far so good. Next thing I hear is a large splash. I cast to the area of the break and the line tightened. I though that it might be a snapper blue but was rewarded by a chunky little schoolie.
The schoolie that gets not respect. You often hear this . " Yeah there small and only schoolies." But to me it was an indicator that the fishery was on its way back. Perhaps , the reason we have not seen any fish for awhile is that the bait simply did not drop down to the Famed Flats .
Well my theory proved correct . I had a great week with a 20 fish day and a keeper to add to the mix.
The interesting thing about the nursery is that people drive by it on the way to the Flats. That's all I'm going to say about this little gem.
So, sometimes you have to break all the rules to get your fish.
My suggestion to Jim's list is fish areas that are forgotten and explore.
FishHawk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.