Can't catch the trout that I see! - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Can't catch the trout that I see!

Hey everybody, I took a trip up to a mountain pond today. I saw over a dozen of trout in this pond and all were rising. I tried almost every fly in my vest and couldn't catch a single one! I tried elk caddis, adams parachute, knats, grasshoppers, and even tied on some nymphs.

I was wondering if it could have been the flys that I've been using, or maybe the way I was laying the fly on the water? I seem to have a problem with the fly landing on the water a little too hard, or atleast what it looks like to me. The leader will also bunch up around the fly when I try put the fly on the water.

I did have one little hit when I was using a black knat. The only thing was that it was sitting on top of the water and started sinking so I started slowing bringing it in and he just hit it long enough for me to barley feel him on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Next time try this:
Put on a new leader, 10 to 12 foot 5X tippet, and maybe go with an extra foot of 6X if the trout are not too heavy/large,
Use a small emerger pattern, like a size 16 Klinkhammer type pattern, tied parachute style on a scud style hook. The bottom part of the hook must be below the surface film.
Works for me in the higher mountain ponds and streams around Banff & Canmore.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
troutbum..

could they see you? and did the pond get alot of action?

If the answers are no, and no.. then its all your fault lol.. Like was said^^ try out emerger patterns, they would have probably done it for ya.. I like to start with small (2lb) tippit, then gradually bump up if you start catching bigger fish.. this way, if your not getting rises to certain flies you will know that it is the fly, and not the tippit.. get it?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the tips, but on another note now that you've got me on tippet. It is important to have the tippet isn't it, because I was using just a tappered leader. Which I've heard that the leader doesn't present the fly as well as the tippet does.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Satisfied

The trout were likely cruising while feeding. If you can see the fish, lead them by 5 feet or so. If your fly is close to what they are eating and your presentation is decent you'll catch fish. Mountain lake fish, unless they get hammered all the time are not that picky when it come to color etc...
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 AM
thread killer

Tippet

Quote:
It is important to have the tippet isn't it, because I was using just a tappered leader
A tapered leader will be fine dependant on what the 'tip - tippet' diameter is. A new leader has a section of level tippet constructed into it. Once that is worn back from retying or break offs another section of tippet material can be tied in for return to near specs of your leader. These are normally 20" - 24" section and measured in thousandths designated by the 'X' size. 4X will measure .007 with 5X .006 and 3X @ .008 one 'X' sz = one thousandth. If your a perfectionist it pays to check dia with guage of some sort for accuracy. Standard calipers work well on the bench.

For small flies on still water 5 or 6X would be my choice, the suggestion of a longer leader is a good one. If your casting might be spooking them try placing a cast and exercising patience. With your fly is already in position when a fish comes through less chance of alarm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.