holding waters for spawning trout? - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 PM

holding waters for spawning trout?

One of the rivers I fish has catch and release all year round. Right now the trout are spawning (itīs winter down here). I went fishing the other day and had real trouble getting strikes in the most obvious holding waters where I usually do Ok in the summer. anyways, I did see some nice trout in a very shallow part of the river (got strikes but I wasnīt fast enough...)

My question is: since the trout arenīt feeding as much due to spawning (correct me if Iīm wrong), do the holding waters change? Do they move to some other parts of the river? if so, what kind of holding waters should I look for?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
troutbum..

I think its kind of un-ethical to fish for spawning fish.. Its similiar to fishing for spawning salmon.. (no one does it..) but I suppose if your just catch and releasing no biggy lol..

Ive always found that they move to calmer slower water, such as lakes or ponds in a river.. but other than that.. lol gluck.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 PM

I tend to agree in ethics relating spawing, but as others have answered in an earlier post of mine, depends on the species and the ecological situation of the place being fished.

But while we are in the subject of ethics: taken to an extreme, fishing during regular season implies hurting the fishes lips with a hook (even unbarbed), disturbing a fish from its natural state, tiring and stressing a fish during the fight and the landing, taking a chance that the hook will go through the fishes eye or gill, all this for your personal recreation and amusement. And according to the last publications I read, a percentage of trout die after release (I think it was around 10% but I donīt remember), so C&R is not necessarly more "humane". All this activities conserning fishing could also be considered un-ethical, as it actually is for many people in anti-hunting and fishing organizations.

I personally think, since mankind has for hundreds of thousands of years bonded with wildlife and nature through hunting and fishing, that its almost a "religious" necessity, and if you do it with responsibility its very rewarding with minimal damage.

Anyways, regarding the river I fish, and supposing fishing during spawing hurts the rainbow trout species, take in account that in that river:
- its a freestone river from glaciar meltdowns, its always murky and chocolate covered except for 3 months during winter, so trout have practically no fishing pressure,
-there are no natural enemies here for trout, trout are an exotic (introduced) species (no ospreys or those big ducks you have in the north)
-since trout are an exotic species, theyīve put in extinction risk a native small catfish in that river, so many biologist here favour more fishing pressure on trout to avoid the catfishes extintion
-that river is in a very arid place in my state, it has no tributaries or connections with other rivers. Itīs pretty much a closed enviroment. Over-population and C&R in closed enviroments have produced here in my state, in cirque lakes, stunted growth and really weird looking fish.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
troutbum..

^^good points.. and I have thought about this often. but actually, I have never hooked a fish in the eye with a fly because I use small barbless flies (less dammage), and I am somewhat against grabbing them by the gill.. (has to be bad).. But anyway, have fun..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.