CCB Wed. 7/25 Victory - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Secret:Time on the water

CCB Wed. 7/25 Victory

Well headed back up to the bay yesterday at 03:30 from CT. We got to the ramp at 6:30 or so and launched. Got out to the grounds ESE of Plymouth about 30 min. later. We saw a few fish here and there but it was looking like catching tuna using top water plugs was going to be a bust again. There were many more boats out at Stellwagen this week than what we saw last week. Quite a crowd mostly trolling around. We immediately saw some whales and then more whales, all day they seemed to be here and there many whales. We setup in about 100 ft. of water and my partner Pat starts jigging with a Shimano Butterfly Jig. He has never tried it but sells the system at his shop. He was using a specialized Shimano Butterfly Jigging rod as well that looked to me like a conventional trout rod..... But on his first drop he hooked up a very nice bass. We release the bass and he drops again, immediately hooked up to another nice 40+" bass. Released him and he drops for the third time and immediately hooks another bass but this time it comes unbuttoned on the way up. No sooner than he loses the bass and a tuna eats the jig. 1 hour later we land a nice 46" 75 lb. BFT. The rest of the day we hooked nothing but bass, we saw more tuna and some were on top but we could not interest them in anything we were offering. I tried the flyrod, top water, metal, and even butterfly jigging but could not get a tuna locked up. Oh well it was awesome on the water yesterday like a lake all day. Had great company, beautiful day and awesome scenery can't ask for more than that except maybe another tuna. Talked to my other friend who is out there again today and they were 3 for 4 tuna first thing this morning. They got nothing but dogfish yesterday so what a difference a day can make.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Jonesin...

Nice job Mike. Really glad to see you get into them after the long drive. I delivered a torsion axle to the mechanic working on my trailer today so I am hoping to be back in business tomorrow. Family obligations prevent anything on Saturday but may aim for a Sunday trip somewhere.

Congrats again.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 PM

Thanks!That's Great!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Mike- nice tuna...can't wait to catch one myself....saving up for the 12 wt for next year (maybe).

Mr. beauty123 from "yc" (wherever the hell that is)- we are on to you and your game (signature is ever-changing hotlink to some scam non-sponsor website)...I've already reported you to the moderate for disciplinary action...so do yourself and everyone else a favor and BLOW!!!
Flydoc
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Jonesin...

Thanks Doc. Links easily removed. If you have any other handles I need to check out shoot me a PM.

Sean
Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Thanks, Sean...I'd already sent Jim Simms a PM about this character after his second post showed up in another thread...Jim gave me impression he would act if the guy tried for the trifecta...guess I could have sent him another PM, but my outrage got the better of me...the only kind of spam I tolerate is the kind that comes in a can...
Flydoc
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Mike, Congrats on the tuna. I was out on the SWC this morning, saw some whales but no tuna. I've been wondering about jigging them, figure DD, LJack, and Marias work when cast and retrieved, why not a sand eel profile jig. If you've got anymore details on that setup and particularly the jig size and color, please shoot me a PM.

It could turn on with these bigger tides coming over the next few days but weather is going to be an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.