Time to shove off mates! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Time to shove off mates!

After a two week delay we are out of Seattle on Saturday. The four year journey begins, hopefully it will be a complete circumnavigation of our great planet Mother Earth. Our sailing vessel named HANNAH is completely packed all 93 lockers full. HANNAH weighs 28,000 pounds empty and I estimate she now is at about 34,000 pounds. HANNAH is a Mason 44 cutter rigged sloop that has circumnavigated once before with her last owners and we have completlly re-outfitted her for her second one. Gear includes 5 fly fly rods,8 wt to 12 wt, 8 fly reels, 14 lines, fly tying gear, 600 saltwater hooks and feathers, fur and mylar up the yin yang. On board are two casting rods and reels for the kid and my favorite is the 1000 feet of heavy commercial hand line cord to cut up into 100 foot sections to troll behind HANNAH while under sail and on passage over open ocean. Tie a piece of heavy surgical tube to the line and a cleat and your ready for Tuna and Dorado for dinner. We are also carrying a quiver of surf boards for all those great breaks in Mexico, Central America, the South Pacific, Indian Ocean and beyond.
It has been an honor being associated with so many of you, especially on the srtipa board and the steelhead board. We have had a ball over the last 5 or 6 years. I will be keeping in touch from time to time with reports of fly fishing and other adventures and will still be able to get PMs when we are around wifi or internet cafes the world over. We also get e-mails over our iridium sat phone but that is just our business e-mails and extra weather grib files.

So you all have a great fishing season and we will too as we start out Coho on the fly in the Broken Group on Vancouver Island then over to Neah Bay side to fly fish and wait for the right window to our first passage to San Franciscoaround September 1st.
Latter
OC.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Duly impressed captain... and may this be a defining journey in your life as I am sure it will be.

Whenever possible please keep us posted on your progress. Four years is a long time and I am saying right here and now that I want to rendezvous with you somewhere along your route. Probably during the thick of winter and in a tropical location

I am serious OC - let's make it happen. Hmmmm south pacific.... always had a nice ring to it. However I will fly there
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 AM

Good Luck... have a great voyage...

hmmmm a Bora Bora Clave ??? sounds nice...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Pencil me in.....

Good luck, I bump into the folks that operate Iridium now and again. I will make sure they keep the system up and running for ya
Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Middle Aged Member

I'll crack a bottle and drink a toast Saturday, up in Maine.

I'm taking the liberty to post a couple of pics of Hannah when Steve first took delivery a year and a half ago. I know a lot of sweat and $$$ has gone into her since. Maybe Steve will post a pic as she gets ready to sail.

All the best to you Tracy and Nolan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hannah_gets_ready_and_goes_home_021a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	6487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hannah_gets_ready_and_goes_home_035a.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	6488  
Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Jonesin...

Congrats OC. I know this has been a long time in the making. Can't wait to hear some stories. Hopefully you will find the time now and then to keep us updated on your travels.

Sean
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Pullin' Thread

Glad to hear you are finally getting underway. I know you have been looking forward to this trip my friend. Enjoy it and may all of you come back richer for having done so.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:52 PM
LBFF Mojo

Awesome. This has been a long time coming. I still used to live in Seattle when the dream started and glad to hear you are getting going.

Just finished re-reading moby dick and a life at sea sounds most appealing. I am jealous and defintely keep in touch with us landlubbers.

-sean
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 PM

Fred, you are right on about the time and money. 14 to 16 hour days since November for my wife Tracy and for me its been the same since April 1st. It's not just re-fitting the vessel over the last year and a half since we bought her down in Texas and had her shipped up from Texas, it's the tons of paper work to get finances in order. It's been hours of advanced marine weather studies on how to read grib and weather faxes and get good at it. It was an 11 week course twice a week on diesel mechanics and hours form the both of us to study for the two tests for our SSB license. Hours of haggling with insurance brokers to get some sort of offshore insurance for the boat, one of the hardest things in the world to get. The home schooling effort doing research on courses for our 14 year old son Nolan that Tracy put together. We have been stressed out for months laying awake all night thinking about what needs to be done next. We finally just started to look at it as an expedition like getting ready for a try on Everest. But it's all come together at last. Fred and Sean have always been supportive and I thank you both for your words of encouragement. An old Flytalk member SINKTIP helped bail our kid out of trouble on the last few days of school this year. So as you can see members here have been very supportive indeed, Juro you too, all of you. Thanks for posting the pics Fred I wish I had time to post some now of HANNAH as she sure looks a different with her new rigging, sails, solar panels a really good professional wash and wax job and so much more. I'll eventually send some pics of HANNAH under way 200 miles off the Oregon coast in 25 knot North Westerlies and 15 foot seas pushing us toward San Francisco. I'm really looking forward to it, cruising with a reef in the main and fully powered up for four or five days in a row.

OC
stevetracynolan@gmail.com
Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
President of CAC

What a trip...good luck and Gods speed...you lucky dog.....wish I was with you...seriously...John
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 PM
_

Wow . . . Congratulations. I'm sure that most of us have dreams of doing something like that, and some even have plans, but you've actually made it happen . Good luck! And please keep us posted.

Q
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Fly chucker

Best of luck to you on your voyage. Be safe and have fun.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:48 AM

What an adventure!

Bon Voyage
Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi OC,

Best wishes on your exciting Journey...

May you have a safe passage, with great weather and success avoiding any hurricanes with big waves.

Please do keep us posted...

Bon Voyage,

Greg.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 PM

I'll keep an eye out for you here in the outer Straits of Juan De Fuca maybe the Bon Voyage can be "hand to hand" as we Mariners are so fond of saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.