Catching Pike - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Catching Pike

I've never fished for pike with a fly rod, and was wondering if you need some type of a different leader since their teeth are sharp. I know you need a steel leader when fishing with a spinning rod, so I would think you would need a steel leader or something tougher than a 6 wt on a fly rod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 12:26 PM

Pike Leader

I use a 6 - 10 inch bite tippet of the tiable wire (like Surflon) in the lightest test they sell. Works fine, and this is in very clear water.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:20 PM
_

I use a short length of 40# fluorocarbon for a bite tippet, with 20# fluoro for the rest of the leader. Works pretty well for pike of the size that I usually hook (24" - 32"). Haven't had the opportunity to try it on anything larger yet!

BTW, If you're planning to toss large flies and/or catch large fish you might want to use something a little heavier than a 6wt. I use a 7wt and that seems a little light sometimes.

Q
Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 PM

I chase large pike mostly, 10# plus so I use a 9 wt rod, just to be sure that I can release the fish quickly after the hook up. Smaller pike deserve the same respect, so if you start targeting larger pike, then go with a heavier rod. My leaders are about 5 feet long, tapered with 18 inches of 35# to 25# to 15# of mono then I tie on 10 inches of Tyger wire or similar bite wire.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:46 AM

Just yesterday I tried wire for the first time. It was only my second time targeting pike on the fly. After spending WAAAY too long tying up some deerhair bugs, I decided I wasn't willing to lose any flys that took that much time and effort. Screw losing fish, it was my flies I was worried about! That says something about how cheap and lazy I am.
So here are my preliminary findings on wire;
1. Apparently I was supposed to get single strand wire. I thought that was what I was buying but the microscope proved otherwise. Everybody said the wire would tie all my normal knots. Knot so. At least not the multistrand stuff. I was able to attach it to my leader with a nail not which gave me a decent low profile knot but is touchy and time consuming - not field expedient. To attach the fly I ended up going with an improved clinch knot but with only two wraps. Even that didn't cinch up very well and looked kinda scary under the [low power] microscope. More traditional clinch knots and uniknot just didn't cinch up right and looked like hell under magnification.
2. Casting was unaffected. I was concerned about that but wire users here assured me it would be fine and it was.
3. Although the leader stood out like a sore thumb to me, small to medium largemouth bass were not detered. I worried about that because my pike river has some quality LMB and I wanted the "bycatch". Actually the deerhair bug was much more attractive to the bass than to pike. I was plauged with rat bass even though my fly was quite large. Biggest about 3.5 lbs.
4. The only pike I landed was a hammerhandle which inhaled the fly completely. His teeth totally chaffed the plastic coating on the wire convincing me that the wire saved my fly.

Overall I was pleased with the wire. I was concerned about leader shy fish but the LMB didn't seem to mind. I didn't raise any big pike but that was more likely the fact that I stuck to topwater when the pike were probably laying deep.
The one real disadvantage was the difficulty tying knots. After awhile I was doubting my stratigy of throwing the deerhair bug but was reluctant to retie. Eventually I stuck to the topwater, possibly keeping me from finding a good pike. I would have been cutting off and retying flies if not for the reluctance to retie the wire.
One other thing I didn't like was the frayed plastic coating after landing a pike. It bunched up about an inch above the fly and looked like crap. Is ther noncoated wire?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Mike did you buy the American Fishing Wire, Surfalon brand wire? I have never had a bit of trouble with knots coming undone. I use either a loop connection or a surgeons knot to leader and a nonslip loop to the fly. Of course this for Bluefish. I have not yet gotten over to the pike river. Gonna try to get there soon(damn I hate work ), you guys have me all fired up for Pike on the Fly
Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Yes that's the wire I got. I think the mistake I made was getting too heavy wire, 27 lb.
I didn't actually have any knots come undone. I just couldn't cinch up the knots because the wire dug into itself instead of sliding. I suspect lighter wire would work better especially if it was single strand.
I'm still learning this pike game. I'll keep you posted as I get the bugs out.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Mike from the "What it's worth Dept": All I have ever used is the 17 lb wire. I cannot imagine needing anything bigger. If it withstands the chewing a 9or10 lb blue fish can dish out and not break off I would think it would handle even the largest pike rather handily.

Sounds like your having a great deal of fun finding out what works or doesn't in any event.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Pike Leader

Just caught two tonight in front of the house. I use 13# Surflon: I connect the bite tippet to the leader with a Simplified Blood Knot and use a modified Rhode loop knot for the bite tippet to fly.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 PM

To set up a leader system is quite simple. I use a 5 foot pc. of 17 lb. monoand use an Albright Knot to attach my wire. Then to attach the fly use a figure 8 knot. Have used this system since I was 20 and have landed pike and musky up to 44 inches without losing one.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:38 AM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Tyger Wire

That stuff is pure magic. It knots like dacron, does not fail, low visibility, and comes in a wide variety of sizes. It's only downside is that it's a little pricey, but it's great to work with.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 AM

I've used the Tyger wire and my only complaint is that after tying it the inch above the fly gets a curl to it from drawing the knot tight. Is there a way to avoid this?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Caught a nice 33 " / 10#er yesterday late afternoon... what a ride! Landed him on a 6# tippet. Played him on my 9' 8 wt rod and managed to get him beached in roughly 10 minutes, but had no net... Lost the fly in his mouth as I reached down to grab his head to get it. a couple chakes, and snap! I will definitely try the tyger line... gotta get more of those bead head buggers!!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shore
I've used the Tyger wire and my only complaint is that after tying it the inch above the fly gets a curl to it from drawing the knot tight. Is there a way to avoid this?
Wetting the knot before cinching it down should help prevent that.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM

I haven't found that to work nearly as well on Tyger wire as it does on nylon and fluorocarbon. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.