I Need Help!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Question I Need Help!!

I have just picked up flyfishing and finally got the casting part down! I was now wondering how do I catch fish?? How do you figure out what fly you need to use and what waters would look good to an angler with some experience?

I would gladley take any comments or tips into deep concideration. If it also helps I'm am fishing the great Colorado River for those big Browns and Rainbows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 PM
troutbum..

welcome to the world of the flyish

Basically, I would read a lot of fly fishing/tying books even if you don't plan on tying.. Get a seasoned veteran to show you how its done, and critique your form on a river. Take up entomology and figure out what those insects are that you originally thought were massive mosquito's..

Getting a fly tying book with pictures of a lot of different patterns helped me out a lot, by giving small captions of detail on where to fish them, and what they imitate.. Spending a lot of time on a river even if your not fishing helps as well, I do it all the time.. And, if your totally new to using fly rods.. I would go to a local farm pond, and catch a few bluegill, they will take basically any fly you can stick in front of them.. small woolly buggers and woolly worms are awesome as well as elk hair caddis plopped hard on the surface (small mabey size 14-16) catching these guys is fun, and fairly easy.. but it gets you used to the action of a flyrod and lets you figure out what your doing when you retrieve the fish.. Or like me, you could just chill on a trout stream untill you catch something.. first ones the hardest

just go out and fish, and you'll "catch" on fast..

Post some pictures of your first fish, I wana see it
Old 07-20-2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks a bunch, that makes a lot of since to look at a book on flys. You do need to know what is flying around.

I can't wait until I catch that first trout! I'll make sure to send some pics your way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.