I love Bluegills - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 PM

I love Bluegills

I went to a small pond in the Orange area yesterday for a few hours in the evening. I started the fishing throwing spinners baits way back in the slop. I picked up three healthy largemouths right off the bat. I moved out to clearer water to use my flyrod and couldn't by a hit by a largemouth. About an hour before dark the bluegills began rising all over the pond. Big hand sized bluegills not the little runts that you sometimes get into. The next hour was sight fishing bluegill heaven. Rise, cast , fish on, repeat til dark. I love these fish, If they got to ten pounds I might never leave. If I do half as well with Stripers two weeks from now at the Cape I'll be in Striped heaven.
Shadfreak aka Bluegillfiend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Fly chucker

Yes, bluegills on poppers at dusk are almost a mandatory part of summer for me.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM

I had fun with them in June. It makes a difference, as you say, how big they are. I found a small weedy pond this year, with a lot of big bluegills. Talk about a great way to unwind after work. When they are big and dark with shoulders on them, they are a lot of fun to catch.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 PM
troutbum..

there pretty strong for little fish first time I caught one I thought I had a decent bass..
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM

I hear that the bluegill are a pretty good training tool...

It sounds like pretty fun for a couple hours after work. I will have to take this as a hint and get up to a lake with a lot of bluegill.

I was also wondering about crappie, and if they're as fun as bluegill seem?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:10 AM

I love 'gills too!
I have close to me a two story pond that besides good trout fishing boasts some of the biggest bluegills I know of. Lots o' fun!

Bluegill indeed do make excellent training targets. They love to eat flies of all types. Their fondness for feeding at the surface makes them the perfect introduction to the excitement of dry flies while their willingness to eat nymphs on a dead drift sharpens the hit detection skills. On light tackle big ones pull hard enough to keep me coming back despite the fact that I could be fighting stripers or blues or false albicore.
Crappie do love to eat poppers on the surface and sometimes can found in large schools. My problem with them is they fight like damp tissue paper.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 AM

I agree that Crappie don't fight well but brushed with garlic butter and quickly broiled with beer are hard to beat.
Larry
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadfreak
I agree that Crappie don't fight well but brushed with garlic butter and quickly broiled with beer are hard to beat.
Larry

Beer you say? All the more reason to catch a few
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 AM

Have you tried sponge spiders on Bluegills? Black or sometimes white spiders have always produced for me. My best ever day of flyfishing for bluegills was at Back Bay in SE Virginia. I had ten citation bluegills! One was over two pounds!! It looked like some sort of mutant.

Unfortunately, the entire body of water was ruined by the introduction of saltwater... used this method to kill off the milfoil. Hmmm, the milfoil was what kept the place full of fish and the water full of oxygen.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Galong, Never mind bluegills, tell us what you fish for in Thailand!
I'm familiar with several native Thai species from the aquarium hobby. What do you have for gamefish?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

ME too! Am I looking at a trip to SE Asia soon??
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
Galong, Never mind bluegills, tell us what you fish for in Thailand!
I'm familiar with several native Thai species from the aquarium hobby. What do you have for gamefish?
Hey guys,
My personal favorite fish to catch is the Giant Snake-head fish. It will readily hit topwater lures, flies (streamers) and poppers. And, it gets BIG.
I fish in a 165 square kilometer reservoir in Khao Sok National Park mostly.

Other freshwater fish in Khao Sok include Schwanenfeld´s Tinfoil Barbs (great name) and other barbs, other species of snake-head fish, Giant Gourami (normally aquarium fish, but these guys get up over several pounds), Tilapia, mystus, carp, big catfish and plenty more.

I'm hoping to start saltwater fishing for Barracuda, Trevally and Mullet. All are fairly common in Phang Nga Bay. The bigger trevally come up in Phang Nga Bay at times and you can see their dorsal fins out of the water. The best months for them is June and July, though they are available most of the year.

Come on over... I've been here for 15 years and I've got a fleet of kayak (over 30).

Ciao

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.