Dead zones in Gulf of Mexico continue to grow. - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Unhappy Dead zones in Gulf of Mexico continue to grow.

Hello,

I have been watching the dead zones in the gulf of Mexico grow, and each year it seems to get bigger and badder. Nitrogen loads are increasing and cause larger dead zones due to hypoxia.

Florida believes that fertilizer is a significant contributer to the Red tide problems that continue to grow worse and kill fish as well.

Check out the latest Noaa report on the dead zones...

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2891.htm

Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 05:29 PM

I have an interesting side note to add to this, for people who follow this sort of stuff from a scientific angle. The report says that algae cause hypoxia when they decay. The reason is that bacteria which use oxygen break them down. However, the algae themselves can also cause dead zones in shallow bays. I've seen it happen. I've taken the measurements with an oxygen meter. Algae respire oxygen all of the time, just like we do. During the day, when they are photosynthesizing, on balance they give off more oxygen than they take in. But at night, or on dark days, they take in more oxygen than they give off. They can completely deplete a shallow water column of oxygen if the algae bloom is thick enough. I brought this up to my graduate advisor at the time that we were taking these measurements and he didn't really run with it because they were looking at something else. Anyway, you can get these kind of fish kills anywhere in the U.S. that there is a lot of fertilizer runoff into shallow bays. The water column does not need to be stratified. We used to see fish kills whenever it rained. The oxygen would go down to zero ppm at night, but it wouldn't rebound at day because of the low sunlight.

We are poisoning our waters with too much nitrogen and phosphorus in fertilizer. Plants like it just as much in the water as they do on land. That's why the water gets all green and soupy and dead eventually.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Popper,

I have to agree with your comments. Another NOAA report also supports the demise of our estuaries and waterways due to nutrient pollution.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2898.htm

Perhaps with more knowledge and discipline and care we can reverse the trend.

Greg.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

It's big and bad

Here's a recent follow-up survey of the third larges recorded dead zone in the northern Gulf of Mexico...

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2901.htm

Greg.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD
Hi Popper,

I have to agree with your comments. Another NOAA report also supports the demise of our estuaries and waterways due to nutrient pollution.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2898.htm

Perhaps with more knowledge and discipline and care we can reverse the trend.

Greg.
The area where I worked is on this map, marked with a red triangle.

Thank you for posting this information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.