Cape Cod - October - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 AM

Cape Cod - October

Trying to plan a week up on the Outer Cape (Cod) with my SO, for some RR and fishing. Schedules are pushing it back to 1-2 week in October. My question is: I'd love to be there for the thick of striper fishing; is this too late? I'd want to surf fish the outer beaches, and a couple of quiet back bay spots. Not really interested in flats fishing.

I've read in older posts, that weather can be rough that time of year, so that is what it is. We love fall in New England, cooler weather and getting away from the crowds so that part should be good.

The other alternative, would be an earlier (september) commando solo fishing trip; and a separate non-fishing trip with my girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Early Oct should put you in the thick of the fall run on the backside beaches. Weather is always a factor but the cape is a nice place to be that time of year without the tourists, crowded restaurants, traffic...
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

October is excellent on the back beach. Still plenty of fish around but the key is to keep moving as the fish are or find a place where they will move past you in numbers.

Adult bunker bring huge bass to the shoreline along Nantucket Sound and the migration in full swing from shore. High tides in the morning and evening or during said crappy weather can produce mind-boggling fishing along the vacant tourist beaches from Hardings Beach west.

Flats on bayside and around Monomoy are lit up pretty well. Late fall has some of the wildest blitzes of the year in the channels where water drains from the bayside flats and favorable conditions (temps, bait) keeps a lot of fish pushing in pods over the shallows well into October. You might not be into sight fishing but the flats will be very good. I am very into it and it's excellent that time of year with the young bunker presence on the flats adding some extra spice to the usual flats action.

As far as choice thats up to you but the September thing does produce two trips verses one. If it's a cold fall or if it's later in the month October has it's share of snotty nor'easters and gray drizzly days over dead-looking deciduous trees and brown leaf-covered landscapes. Not prone to that on the Cape where things are behind northern states so you are probably good there.

It depends on her likes/dislikes I guess - if a tropical couple trip was the prize for patience I would just say this - I haven't met a lady yet who prefers goretex over tropical wear.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Thumbs up

great information as always Juro

I finally got a permanent job offer, so hopefully i will be able to take a few days vacation on the cape in september now too.

judging by your comments, the 20th - 23rd looks good for me.

I will be stonehorsing then.

Thanks

Mark.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks guys, that was fast!
Juro - that's all I needed to hear. "...can produce mind-boggling fishing along the vacant tourist beaches..." Will go with Plan A for beginning of October with SO. I'm stoked. Think we'll bring some bicycles too, I've been wanting to ride that scenic bike trail for awhile now.

We also have our Cabo S.L. trip at the end of November, so we'll have fun in the sun there. (I'm bringing along a rod - her suggestion - my girlfriend's pretty cool, she get's my addiction for the most part!)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM

I will be fishing actively thru Nov so drop me a line and I will help you if I can.

Also call Harry Koons up at Nauset Angler about the backside beaches. He's right across from Joes on Nauset Beach Rd. I am out on Nauset a lot then so can probably give you some intel as well. Really fat sand eels and big shoreline bass in fall but they can often be a long ways off shore and you have to watch them all day. When they come into shore all hell breaks loose. This year is different there is something that brings them right to the feet so I cant' wait.

South side is easy - just stop at all the parking lots in Harwich, Dennis, Yarmouth, etc - and look for birds and busting fish. Closest to shore at high tides at off times. Keep moving as the fish will be, unless more birds are coming than going. The whole biomass moves in unison that time of year.

Get a Brewster beach map and figure on hitting those the second half of the falling tide. The currents start to form and the bait panics, the birds go apeshit and the fish boil the water. it's like a scene out of a Hitchcock movie when the bunker are there otherwise keep driving and looking, things move fast in fall

last fall the bass pushed the bunker up into Sesuit Harbor and pounded them until the water glittered with silver flecks for an acre, you could barely hear each other talk over the noise of busting fish

I am in no rush to get thru summer but sure do love the fall - only down side is winter being right around the corner
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM

I can't help piping in here to say - Damn! That's some good intel!
It is a very refreshing difference from those "Other" forums which seem lately to be dominated by "Pros" whose typical forum posts amount to overly eloquent glorified advertisements for their services.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Too new to confirm but I am sure I am not alone in this prediction...

Nauset Break in fall - CAN YOU IMAGINE how that is going to light up when the bunker cut thru between Pleasant Bay and the Atlantic????

It's like Big Girl, the Mecca and the Monomoy Rip all rolled into one honey hole on the outer beach in fall. If I am not mistaken it will only be a short stroll from the portable gas grill on the tailgate of the tundra with some cold 'soda pops' in the cooler. I never tasted a better swordfish kabob in my life than the one I ate out on Nauset Beach with the fish busting just over the berm.

I have hooked and landed hardtails from Chatham Inlet and the end of the old Nauset Beach so I am certain there will be shoreline shots at albies and bonito from the new break.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Brooklyn, don't over look the fishery in your back yard. The North Fork of LI. Some great fising to be had in Oct. Just a suggestion. I didn't mention Montauck because of the crowds. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.