New Rod no trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Secret:Time on the water

New Rod no trip

Well with all of the tuna fever going around I bit the bullet and bought a TFO TiCr 2 15 wt. Lefty Kreh edition today. It is a relatively low end rod but seems nice. There are two problems though:
1. Could not find anyone who could go up to the Cape with me to tuna hunt.
2. When I put the reel on the rod I find out that they didn't line up the damn reel seat with the guides so the reel sits about 10 deg. off center from the damn guides. Really pissed me off that I didn't look at that first. I called the shop and the owner said he was going to call the distributor immediately and see if he can get another one overnighted. No harm no foul as I couldn't get a trip together anyway for tomorrow. The owner of the shop is thinking about going up next Tues. night and fishing Wed. so that is what we are shooting for. Trailering all the way from southern CT. is a costly affair so having a couple of guy's to spread the cost around helps a lot. Plus with these fish you can't realistically fish them alone unless you want to add another chapter to the Old Man and the Sea saga. Oh well going to take the wife out bassin' instead.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 10:12 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Cutting edge technology...

Mike...
Soundz like you got one of the secret prototype "10% offset" rods still in R&D!
Surprised they didn't charge you extra!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2007, 06:06 PM
CantAnchorUs

Hi Mike! Nice to hear from you. You may have just lucked out today, considering the expense. The fishing for tuna in CCB seems to have slowed considerably from a week ago. Out for 9 hrs today and we covered a lot of water, we saw maybe 8 tuna and no shots. I don`t think anyone else fared any better. May be time to start looking for funny fish around Watch Hill.
Slinger
Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
The fishing for tuna in CCB seems to have slowed considerably from a week ago.
Steve

So that's where the tuna are?

I've been cruz'in Narragansett Bay looking for Star Kist for two week now, without luck. That explains everything!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The fishing for tuna in CCB seems to have slowed considerably from a week ago.

That Fffffin' figures just my luck I go out and buy a rod to use for these damn things and they decide to vacate the neighborhood! Anybody want to buy a brand new 15 wt.???
Old 07-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Jonesin...

Don't sell the 15wt quite yet...

Mike,

While I agree with Steve that the bite has clearly slowed the fact remains that I saw more sandeels than I have ever seen on Saturday afternoon and I heard from others the bite further out than I was was quite good in the morning. Lets keep in touch and maybe we can put that thing to use later in the year if the bait and fish move back in. Who knows that could be next week!

Sean
Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 PM
CantAnchorUs

Look to the south bubba... whole lot of fish just off Long Is. These are the ones we should be seeing soon.
Slinger
Old 07-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike! Nice to hear from you. You may have just lucked out today, considering the expense. The fishing for tuna in CCB seems to have slowed considerably from a week ago. Out for 9 hrs today and we covered a lot of water, we saw maybe 8 tuna and no shots. I don`t think anyone else fared any better. May be time to start looking for funny fish around Watch Hill.
7/14 - Greg O was out with me and managed to put a hook in a 60# fish. FWIW - they seemed to be on the 65 temp break and activity seemed to increase at slack into the outgoing tide.

I'd love to get into some bonito this year, somebody pm me if they come into the bay down there - Watch hill is a bit of a haul but I'll be looking around Boneclave country in a few weeks.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Reports of my selling the 15 wt. may have been premature as I have received several incouraging reports and it looks like I may be headed up with a friend on his boat tomorrow night to check out some areas where they have been feeding good. Now I need to tie some flies for the encounter as well as re-rig some heavier spin gear for shots with that stuff should the fish not get within fly rnage cause if I am going to fish them I am going to come home with some sushi.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM

In the Upper Bay, the predominant bait was 3" sand-eels

This should help in Fly / Lure selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.