Kennebunkport area stripers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Kennebunkport area stripers

I spent the last four days fishing between Goose Rocks beach and Kennebunkport with some interesting results. First all the fish I caught were real fat and strong as hell. When I found fish they hammered the fly. The fish were in singles or small pods hanging in holes about 5 feet deep surrounded by boulders and rocks. I used a 6-inch version of a deep eel with no flash. I caught about twenty-five five over about four hours total fishing. The fish were spread out and I had to keep moving to find them. I took fish at every stage of the tide except high. I think that had to do with more water movement during the other stages.
One interesting thing that I did take note of was the hook that I was using. There was a lot of bladderwort (aka green slimy stuff that you slip and slide all over when fishing boulder fields) and when using a regular j type I was hanging up all the time. I had the same fly tied on a 2/0 circle hook, which made all the difference in the world. It didn't catch every weed in sight, it tended to slide over the rocks allowing you to cast into tighter spots, and best of all my hooking percentage went up. With the traditional hook I was missing about a quarter of the hits I was getting and the circle hook brought that down to next none. I think that the reason is in that environment the fish are so charged up and have to make spilt second decisions to eat or not. Also because they are in a restricted area they need to turn quickly hence they hook themselves right in the corner of the mouth. I have tried circle hooks in other situations and found them not up to the task.
If the striper takes the fly from behind by flaring its gills a sucking it in and does not turn the circle hook will most often side right out of its mouth.

When in Maine fish the rock fields

Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 AM

well Larry sounds like you did quite a bit more fishing than I did while down on the Cape. I finally found the rip ryders phone number, but I didn't get any sun until Thursday, where I found myself playing golf and thenn I spent the rest of the day on Nauset w/ my 2 1/2 year old neices. I guess it beats working.

You are right about maine and all the structure that we have in and around the beaches. I think I find myself at a loss sometimes down on the cape when the sight fishing conditions aren't ideal, I feel like there is a lack of rock piles and shoals that are accessible by foot, and fishable in most conditions.
Hope you had a good time in Kennebunk!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Fly chucker

Larry, that's a great report. I've fished Maine pretty extensively because it's where I grew up and went to college. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

Were you able to sight these fish and cast to them, or were you blindly covering the structure? Sounds like you were able to sight them.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Hey Larry,

You should have tried some of your beautiful Lobster flies up there...or did you. I still have the ones you gave me. They are so nice I hate to use them. When I catch a nice fish on them I will be sure to report to you.

Lefty
Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 AM

Hi Mark and Lefty
I was just fishing the structure. Mostly white water wash where it tumbles back into the holes. Sometimes I had to throw tight to the waters edge and throw a downstream mend to get the line to carry the fly to the right place. The fish were keying on flys coming off the rocks rather then swimming toward them. Lefty sad to say I didn't have any with me. Dumb huh.
Larry
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Fly chucker

That sounds about right for that area.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi Aaron
Sorry the sight fishing didn't work out for you. I am going to be back in Maine the week of Aug 7-11. I'll be in touch maybe we can get out fishing.
Larry
Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 PM

It worked out fine. Went out fishing for a full tide at one of the scarborough beaches my first day back and had great action right in the tidal rip all day. bright light, and some nice sized striper. ... Just got back off the water tonight, hooked into a 10+ lb blue, but more importantly we go to see a nice Pogie ariel show! big bait flying all over the place to the backdrop of a bright red sunset!

Get in touch when you are up in Maine, I am always up for fishing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.