GBI vs. Abaco - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM

GBI vs. Abaco

Hey guys, after reading every book about bonefishing out there plus literally every article i could find on the web, my trip to GBI around June 1 was a total bust with tropical storm barry, or whatever its name was, blowing us out for two days (that's all the time i had). Just started a new job and have been swamped so i haven't had time for a trip report but one will be coming. (believe it or not, i learned a few things to share).

Needless to say, even though i didn't land any fish, i hooked one and now consider myself addicted. i'm already starting to mentally prepare for my next trip.

my question is, how does grand bahamas compare to abaco? bigger fish? smaller fish but more numbers? less spooky (or educated as they say in florida).

any thoughts? keep the bonefish pics coming as i'm living vicariously through them for the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I like Acklins, much further away from fronts and less likely to get blown out.

Do a search for a taste of our trips there over the years.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-15-2007, 04:54 AM
In moderation

Hi JT

The weather this year has been bad for all my bonefish trips. I have made 3 so far.

I have a trip planned for Alphonse Island in November and I am off to Cuba in December, I hope it will be better then.

I have fished a number of different places on Grand Bahama. It suffers from fishing pressure as it is very easy to get to.

Fishing in the Bahamas is always better at more remote places.

Having said that my trip to Acklins this year was blown out by the weather.

Pete
Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 AM

i've been going to gbi for the past 4 years. while it is often windy, this year was the most so, but we never missed a day and cought fish on each outing both wading and from the boat. i'd have to credit the guides though- they are quite adept at positioning the boat and getting into the lee when possible. i stay away from the west end and the north end to avoid both the pressure and the plethora of pathetic guides who primarily "guide" day tripping resort tourists from lucaya..
Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 AM

i think the fishing would have been fine had the weather been ok. I hooked about an 8 lbs fish, but he headed straight to the mangroves and broke off. I guess maybe i have a bad taste for GBI. I'm just not sure. I may try abaco next. I like places that are fairly easy to get too as, like many, time is sacred to me.

Pete, I'd love to hit Cuba, but my government thinks its a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.