First fly caught pike - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 PM

First fly caught pike

What? you're not impressed?
I know, I know, somewhere there's a hammer missing it handle.
Actually, this little feller was very satisfying to catch. Reason being that his capture was the culmination of an experiment that I wasn't real sure about. Sure, I knew pike can be caught on the long rod. Lots of people do it. I just wasn't sure about the educated, highly pressured fish of the well known suburban locale.
Even more questionable in my mind was the logistics of flyfishing from a seated position in the front seat of a canoe. Especially a canoe being captained by a spin fisherman who packs the canoe to the gunnels with more electronic gear and spare spinning rods than your average tackle shop.
I was pleased to find I could make reasonably accurate casts with suitable distance without hooking any humans or tangling any lines. I was very pleased to see how well the fly swam and how stealthy the splash down was. I seriously think flyfishing might be more efficient than spin fishing for pike. One thing I know for sure is these heavily fished pike probably don't see too many flies.

So as I said, I was all happy to land the hammerhandle. I was alot happier when the next pike jumped my fly in a foot of water just off the end of my rod tip. The violence and speed shocked me so bad I almost forgot to set the hook! With no depth to dive to the fish churned up the mud flat and zipped around like mad making me believe he was much bigger than he was. Still, for my first fly pike outing, I'm happy.

Appologies to the fly snobs but I'd like to share this fatty from the same trip. At one point we came across a blowdown that just had Big Fish written all over it. Problem was, overhanging branches made a fly cast all but impossible. I couldn't resist tossing a big swimming plug in there and was rewarded with a vicious strike I was sure was a pike.

This pic doesn't do it justice as the perspective makes it look smaller than it was [makes me look bigger though ]. It actually pegged the digital scale at 5.5 lb, my best this season so far. Damn I wish she hit the fly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
I seriously think flyfishing might be more efficient than spin fishing for pike.
I might be a bit biased on this, but I agree with you 100% for fish that are in fifteen feet of water or less.

Nice pictures you've shared. I hope you get into some more fish like that again soon.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks Mark. You're right about the depth issue. I hadn't thought of that. Luckily there isn't too much water of that depth in the river where I fish.
Do you find the pike go that deep often?
I have caught them in up to 20 feet through the ice in lakes. They'd have to travel pretty far to find that depth where I've been fishing lately.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
troutbum..

nice pike, I wish we had a pike hole near here..
Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
Do you find the pike go that deep often?
That depends on both latitude and the body of water. Up north in Canada, some lakes never really get warm enough for the fish to need to retreat to thermal refuges of deeper water in the summer months. But further south, if a lake, pond, or river has the water depth, most big pike will retreat there when the water temps get above 70F.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
_

Awesome! Especially for a first effort! Any guestimate on the size/weight of the second pike? That looks like a nice fish . Nice bass too, even though you succumbed to the temptation of the dark side in order to catch it .

Quote:
I seriously think flyfishing might be more efficient than spin fishing for pike.
Hmm . . . I think that really depends on the situation and what you mean by more efficient. There's a local lake where my spin-fishing friend has hooked several pike. I've fished the same area with my fly rod and haven't caught one yet. However, on the river I think I catch more pike with the fly rod, both in total numbers and percentage of fish caught. My friend uses a smaller lure that catches plenty of pike and lots of other fish. I usually use large divers and catch mostly pike and bass and occasionally smaller fish. So I guess in this situation I'd have to agree because the fly rod with a large fly is more likely to get a pike. Of course, I'm not sure how the numbers would stack up if my friend fished a larger lure. Also, if nobody else uses flies in a heavily fished area I can definitely see where the fly rod would be an advantage since you can show those educated fish something a little different.

Great report and pics!

Q
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 AM

Q, What river? That one behind GE in Pittsfield that is polluted? Full of PCB and other assorted industrial waste? Or do you venture over hill & dale top the Connecticut?

inquiring minds ya' know? we use ta duck hunt in the polluted one years ago
Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 AM

Q, I guess I mean, as you said, the ability to throw really big flies plus the fact that the splash down is much stealthier than a plug of equal dimensions. I could lay the fly up against the cover, essentially dropping it on their noses, without spooking them.
I also liked the fact with the floating line, if I didn't like my cast I could just pop the fly up and recast without retrieving it to the boat.
I suppose it was a bit premature to say "more efficient" as I'm just now learning to get pike on the fly. Still, I was pleased with the result of my first attempt and expect to only do better as I learn.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 AM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Nice pike!

The second one really has some shoulders on him. (you can always tell a good one when you cant get a hand all the way around him).

As for flyfishing being more effective, I'd agree as long as the wind is under 20mph. I really think it helps when a fish hits and misses, theres almost a lost art to the botched hookset backcast When spin fishing I don't think you can recast to a "hot"fish quite as efficiently.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM

Gosh Mike,
I was so intent on finding out if Q was fishing in the swill water, I forgot to say Congratulations on the inaugural fly caught pike outing. So here goes, Congratulations & nice looking fish
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Q, What river? That one behind GE in Pittsfield that is polluted? Full of PCB and other assorted industrial waste? Or do you venture over hill & dale top the Connecticut?

inquiring minds ya' know? we use ta duck hunt in the polluted one years ago
Yep, same river! The water is probably much cleaner now, although there is still plenty of storm drain and backyard debris in the river (and probably shopping carts, tires and bicycles in the Pittsfield sections )

Jared and Mike -- The instant recast is an advantage I hadn't thought of. Good point.

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.