My father told me there would be days like this - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Unhappy My father told me there would be days like this

I have been excited all week about today, My friend & I were going out for Tuna. It was to be my first Tuna trip, Ever. It started yesterday when he called & said his GPS / chart plotter unit was down & did not want to head for the open ocean without all his equipment in order. I agreed. Damn! the weather forecast was perfect for once, calm seas & no wind for the first time this year.

It was decided we would go over to Merrimack river & fish in close to shore and up in the flats etc... at least salvage the day. Weather was perfect, overcast, light breeze flat water. I should have turned around & went home then.

We launched his boat 23' Silverhawk with a Mercruiser outdrive thingy. I dumped him in at the Salisbury Launch & went to park the truck. He motored around while I did that and came in to the dock & I jumped aboard. Maybe five mins tops. We headed out for the channel and didn't even make it the the Green # 15 can. warning alarm went off.... Overheating..... &^%#@. Tide was slack & the light wind was blowing us ever so slowly back to the launch. We let things cool down & stated the motor twice to get us back to the launch. We determined that we had a some kind of pump problem. He was going to take it to the marine repair place Monday.

I called Wifey & told her I was gonna heading home. & I would go trout fishing today instead. I got home at 9 am to find out the washing machine has died. WTF? Had a look at that & it was Terminal.
Packed up my fishing gear & went to Lowe's to find a new washer.

For some reason I have a massive headache.

Did anyone catch any fish this weekend? Please post a pic or a story & cheer me up

Oh did I mention that My Casting arm elbow is all puffed up from a fall in the Connecticut River the week before last?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM
troutbum..

nice, I thought it was going to be a "happy" ending lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Warren,
Hope this cheers you up. 60 lb bluefin tuna on 12 wt, 20 lb tippet.
Ed
Capeflydoc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluefin.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	6470  
Old 07-08-2007, 08:02 PM

I feel your pain Warren! Well, either that or all the vollyball is catching up to me.
Actually, I do have a good story to cheer you up. At least it made me pretty happy.

I too have been daydreaming about the tuna. In particular, I have been day deaming about getting one on a fly. Lots of people have been getting tuna, but only certain fishermen have what it takes to get one to eat a fly, and land it.
So Friday night the call came from one of those fishermen. My chance had come at last! Only one small problem; I'm on call for work and the other guys who might take my shift are away on vacation! Curses!!! Although I was briefly tempted to quit my job on the spot, common sense prevailed.
Needless to say, I was depressed.
Things took a turn for the better this afternoon however when I recieved an invite to do some pike fishing on a nearby river [close enough to get to work for an alarm if I had to]. Before tuna wishin took over my daydreams, I had been wanting to get a pike on a fly for weeks now.
Anyway, so as not to cross contaminate the forum topics, I'll post the result of the trip on the warm water forum once I get pics uploaded. Sufice it to say, I really don't mind missing the tuna trip after all.
Oh ya, plus I fielded two alarm calls for a total of 4 hours overtime for maybe 1/2 hour's worth of work.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 AM

I'm Cheering up.....I'm Cheering up

Nice Fish CFD I see in another post Sean McD Put Slinger on a good'un too. Nice Job Men.
At least if I cannot get out myself, I can atleast live vicariously through others. Thanks guys

Next time it will all come together I am sure. there is still a few months to go
Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 AM
CantAnchorUs

If you didn`t live so damn far away we would have you all straightened out!
Slinger
Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Double post error
Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
If you didn`t live so damn far away we would have you all straightened out!
Slinger
I am beyond straightening out Steve Believe me I would move to the coast in a heart beat if I could make it all come together. Right now I will just have to dream and drive three hours

News on my sore elbow......My casting elbow is Toast. Went to see Doc today, I have some kind of Brucitis (sp?) and possible infection from my fall in the river two weeks ago. I think I aggravated it at work. I have to see a surgeon Wednesday for a consultation and evaluation. Lets hope the Antibiotics & the anti inflammatory do their thing and I don't need to be cut open

Looks like I may be on the sidelines at least for a week or two......Bummer
Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Warren- best of luck with the elbow bursitis- sorry you weren't down here when it first started; I would have had you all patched up by now
Hope to see you back on the flatz soon.
Flydoc
P.S.- I still owe you an ice cream- my treat next time!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
troutbum..

Cast lefty man, never to late to learn I write lefty and cast right handed so.. anythings possible I guess.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Elbow update,
The surgeon had a look at my elbow today, sucked out what little fluid was left in there and told me to take it easy (yeah right I am a welder, there is nothing easy). Looks like the drug treatment & light duty will have me back on the flats Sunday the 22 Yeah baby!...... look out Capt'n Keith

Until then, no chucking flies or swinging my favorite sledge hammer for me, I am on the mend

Flydoc I see you changed your signature.....Do I have a choice of No Fingers?....Unless of course it refers to single malt. In that case I'll take two....with a dab of Ice
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Warren- glad to hear you'll be back in action soon- see you the weekend of the 22nd. You may want to bring the two-hander; I've always found it a bit easier on the elbow than the one-hand 9 wt.
Afterwards, I'll treat you to two fingers...of Glenlivet, that is
Flydoc
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc
Afterwards, I'll treat you to two fingers...of Glenlivet, that is
Flydoc

Ahhh Just what the Dr ordered

Two hander it will be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.