Single malt aficionados - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Flats Rat

Single malt aficionados

So, they send me to London and I lose a July week-end on the cape.

Then they decide the trip to India that's been overdue a year will happen this month and I lose two more July week-ends on the Cape.

But .....the silver lining...at least for now:

A colleague took me to a lttle hidey-hole in "Old Soho" The very same location made famous by the recently re-discovered Kinks song "Leila".

You could almost call this place a UDL - but Leila wasn't there

Their claim to fame:

"Sir we have an example (at least one physical bottle) of every single malt whiskey available on planet earth today".

A big claim to be sure!

But, after spending an hour drooling from shelf to shelf and seeing some unbelieveble things - like a bottle of Macallan from the year of my birth for GBP2700 (about $5k - I wonder if my wife would tret me hmmmm ...)

I was, understandably, impressed

Their oldest Macallan was 1936 and that was the stuff on the shelves (and priced accordingly) - I was afraid to ask about the stuff that wasn't on view.

Sorry lads but my bank balance doesn't run to bringing back even a "sniff" of what I would have liked but on my next visit there will be forward planning.

Grizz, CSJ360, Juro, Sean and all other "brethren of the Single Malt" - a PM will yield an email address and the keys to boundless joy - and a serious dent in your credit card

And , even with all these woes - I still get to go to the Cape this coming week-end

Good job there are 4 week-ends in July I guess

Big-tides rule

-"And so this is...."
-"..too far from the ocean"
-"...in serious need of a Schoolhouse special"
-"....choking on London smog (God, when will they discover a/c over here? )...."
-"......but gosh darn it - those 15 YO Springbank Miniatures tasted pretty good...."
-".........frustrated, Jet lagged and deflated"
".... .for the WorldWideFlyfishingforum"
"....Adrian Sharp"
"...signing off from London, England"
"..wishing you all"
".Good Night and God Bless!!!"

Last edited by Adrian; 07-10-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 PM

mmmmmmmmmm

HI Adrian, you don't know me........but I am very jealous of you. lol
Sounds like my kind of candy store.
Sounds like my pilgramage to Scotland five years ago.....Sigh........
Ever go to the Muse Tavern in Wakefield RI?
Also there is a pakage store in East Providence.......well you probably know about it.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Hey Adrian, It's not the Cape, but about twenty of us (you'll know many of them if only by name) will be doing an Enid Blyton in Dorset this weekend, for our annual clave. Lots of fishing, bull around the campfire, etc. They'll be quite a few yaks too. Only requirement is to be able to drink red wine, charcoal meat to death and be able to get by on a few hours sleep.

Have all the toys you could need if you want to borrow them, spare sleeping bag, space in the tent (so long as you don't mind sharing with Stevo, Silas and myself), I'll just load 2 times everything in the car.

I'm going to be heading down about noonish, after a morning meet in Coventry on Friday and heading back towards London on Sunday afternoon (tent is staying as Stevo and Silas are staying on for a few more days); you're more than welcome. 07973 249003
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Squire animal

Yes, Adrian, it would be great to see you again on our side of the pond. I reckon we could put you on some Bass this time too!

Jamie snores a bit and I am the perfect gentleman, so you have no worries regarding drunkeness.

Your shout fella. You have Jamie's No.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM

Adrian,
Sounds like my kind of bar. You can have Lola though
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Adrian- I'm still working through my Glenlivet 15 yr old French Oak Reserve- finger by peaty finger.....
FYI:
"Leila"- Derek and the Dominoes (aka Eric Clapton and friends)
"Lola"- The Kinks (Davies brothers et al)
Just in case you ever get called to do a present at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
See you on the flatz when you get back from the UK and Ole Bombay...
Flydoc
Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Flats Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc
Adrian- I'm still working through my Glenlivet 15 yr old French Oak Reserve- finger by peaty finger.....
FYI:
"Leila"- Derek and the Dominoes (aka Eric Clapton and friends)
"Lola"- The Kinks (Davies brothers et al)
Just in case you ever get called to do a present at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
See you on the flatz when you get back from the UK and Ole Bombay...
Flydoc
Ah hah, good catch Jim Glad it was you!

I knew someone had to pick up on my "Senior Moment" - its been bugging me all the way back across the Atlantic - Leila - how could I confuse her with the other her. er him "Ell-ohh-ell-aye" Lola...

Anyways, back in the correct time zone and somwhat dazed but ready to rock 'n roll.

A google search for Millroy's will reveal the Soho UDL. Tastings are held throughout the year - pretty reasonable too so I have to try and engineer my next trip accordingly.

Sorry to miss the UK clave - looks like a blast - it would have been a bit tricky to pull off this time but maybe the next one.......

Can't wait to see the PIX.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Squire animal

Crikey Adrian, that was a flying visit!

Too bad you couldn't be around for the UK gathering... We'll raise a glass or two to you around the campfire.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
mike oliver

Adrian,

The clave or fishin as some of us more common people call them are great in terms of the wine, bear and cider even the odd shot of whisckey. The fishing well don't mention the fishing just the drinking. It's the reason we come over to your side of the pond at least once a year. Mind some find plenty of drink to, in Squires to go with the fish they catch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.