Merrill lake WA. - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
troutbum..

Merrill lake WA.

Im not sure if this is the right place for this, but I just wanted to share one of my most memoriable fishing experiences I have ever had.. This could take pages and pages, and I think I am eventually going to try and get it published in a magazine, but I think Ill just sum it up a bit.. BUT I HAVE TO TELL SOMEONE!!

My family and I went for a cheap vacation about an hour across the border in washington, and ended up camping on Yale lake near Cougar. We traveled around and spent alot of time in the car, checked out Mt. St. Hellens and spent some time on the beautiful backcountry river roads along the Lewis. and eventually after buying a year long fishing license for washington, we made our way up the the infamous Merrill lake, where we were met by an enthusiastic angler who basically handed over the secrets to this amazing body of water and its even more famous hatch, The Hexagenia mayfly. This insect is roughly the size of a silver dollar, and a shade of pastel yellow. The man we met was generous enough to give me one of his patterns and said to comeback at dark. which we did.
And of course on our return, it was raining.. hard.
Almost every flyfisherman packing brand new gear, shiny reels and expensive pontoon boats packed up and left but the hardcore guy's, and the foolish(me) stayed. And this is what we were rewarded with

sorry, but that is really the only pic we have.. (thats me btw) That was taken after the rain stoped, and everyone left.. Of course I just so happen to be a kid who cant even afford waders but it was still awesome, and I eventually just waded in my shoes and jeans.
THe Hexagenia mayfly came onto the water right as the marchbrown hatch was just ending, just after dark, providing one of the most interesting hatches and feeding's I have ever seen. These insects brought up even the monster's from the bottom, which I discovered first hand..
To breifly sum up why this was such an outrageous place, I watched beautiful trout swim everywhere sipping, and cannonballing the surface, I watched two bald Eagles snatch angler's fish from there hands (literally) and carry them back up the their nests, got to see the biggest mayfly I have ever heard of, and got to have my tippit snapped by the biggest trout Ive ever seen all in all it was a phenominal trip, and I apologize for my terrible spelling and poor detail, but if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them..

Just be sure, when and if you visit this place bring all your mayfly imatations, and extra's of the big yellow may, in nymph emerger, and dry stages.

-Thanks for listening.

Last edited by zimflo.; 07-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi,

Great start! We're always looking for articles to publish on the Forum site. When you're ready, send us a file and we'd be happy to look at it for potential publication.

I really enjoyed reading your account of outlasting the rain on Merrill Lake.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
troutbum..

re reading this post, I kinda realized that it doesnt do the event justice I just had to get it out if you know what I mean.. I'll type something up in the next couple weeks, and it'll be more detailed.

Is there a length limit?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Satisfied

Good story. Keep 'em comin!

I publish a FF mag. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to submit a story.

Sorry moderators...I hope that's not advertising. ???
Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 PM
troutbum..

Thanks man, I shot you a pm.

Ill work on rewriting this in the next couple weeks. It'll be much longer..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.