Surf fishing in Maine - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Surf fishing in Maine

Anyone know of good places I can go to fish the salt in Maine? Or where else 2 go for info. Where and what. I am staying on Mount Desert Island. Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dates seem to be of importance this year. When?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM

I've never fished that far north. I'm not sure how reliable striper fishing is up there.
I have no locations but generally speaking, any rocky shore line that gets a little whitewater is a good place to start. There should be plenty of that!
Sorry I can't be more specific, I just have never heard anything about the striper fishing in that area.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM

There are some fish around Mount Desert, but you're at the upper end of their range. That being said, the Union River, Narraguagus, Penobscot and even the Machias rivers all have decent populations. I would be looking more in warmer backwater than on the ocean front ( Back of Somes Sound, Seal Harbor, Bass Harbor {must be a reason why they call it that}, Squid Cove, etc.) Ocean front there will plenty of macks and pollock, but spotty bass. You might want to give shoot Capt. Tom Curtis an email Verona Island Charters dot you know what. He fishes that side of Penobscot Bay a lot. We are finding a few fish in the Penobby, but it's been slow.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM

I am staying on MDI for the summer. I would like to fish saltwater for a change. I am new to saltwater FF, did a very little in the northwest. Are these waters too cold for stripers, blues, or what? Is that what you mean by end of their range? Is this uncharted territory or a waste of time? I saw baitfish in some coves last nite.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Here's some fish from across the bay last Saturday night:

http://flyfishinginmaine.com/forums/...232&forum=1&13

The Union and Narraguagus are both dependable, as is the Penobby. But I think you have to change your tactics. You're fishing more riverine and less oceanfront than yoiu would down south. Last fall, right after labor day, the downeats river where out of control when the alewives started dropping down. Won't know unless you go.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleguy
Here's some fish from across the bay last Saturday night:

http://flyfishinginmaine.com/forums/...232&forum=1&13

The Union and Narraguagus are both dependable, as is the Penobby. But I think you have to change your tactics. You're fishing more riverine and less oceanfront than yoiu would down south. Last fall, right after labor day, the downeats river where out of control when the alewives started dropping down. Won't know unless you go.
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about fishing in rivers, but surf fishing. Are you replying to me
Old 07-06-2007, 10:35 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi LoneAngler,

I think he was responding to your post. Stripers swim in salt and freshwater and tend to prefer warmer water than might be offshore in northern maine right now. So the estuaries and rivers could be the best place for them right now...

Welcome to the flyfishingforum!

Tight Lines...
Greg.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Lone Angler- I was responding to your post. As Greg D said, our stripers this far north (and east) tend to be more in the bays and estuaries than the oceanfront. There is a theory that there may be a self-sustaining population in the Bay of Fundy and that fish exiting the river systems of the Penobscot and other downeast rivers turn left towards NB and NS, rather than heading south to the Hudson or the Chesapeake. Because of a cold, snowy, wet and late spring, we are way behind last year ( I caught my first striper in the Penobscot in early June last year) Your better bet will be to fish the bayside of MDI rather than the oceanfront- warmer water and more water movement, likewise, more bait. If you have a Gazetteer, look at Map 16, 15, 23, 24. It's a different fishing environment than southern ME and the rest of New England. Hope that answers your questions. If find fish, let me know or if you want to go out on the river sometime, likewise.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Titleguy is giving you excellent advice.
It was me who was off base by suggesting the ocean front rocks. I failed to consider the temperature factor. He's spot on with his advice to seek warmer water.
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Surf fishing in Maine

Thanks - I guess by surf I mean salt - estuaries, coves, harbors. I guess I'll have to find out locally what fish are possible from the boat anglers. And maybe it takes a boat and tackle here, haven't seen anyone with a fly rod.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 AM

And you likely won't see many people fly fishing for stripers out there. I fished yesterday morning in Penobscot Bay and we managed three ( all on plugs), but marked a ton of fish. Still learning curve for me around here; it's not like the Cape. One thing I've been told is that it is much more temperature dependent than bait and tide depedent in these parts ( Don't know if I agree, but it's a theory) . Find water in the high 50s and you're more likely to find fish. The outer bay yesterday morning was 55 degrees, but in some of the coves it was pushing 60- guess where we found fish? Send me a PM and I'll give you some more specifics.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Surf Fishing

If you are still wanting to fish the surf, head south to the Portland or Bath area for the day, and fish the beaches down here. They are just stang to pick up.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Loneangler- check your PMs.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 AM
mike oliver

Loneangler,

What happened to that great American pioneering spirit. You are there so why not just grab the fly rod and go fishing. Explore and you may well find. Surley you don't want these guys to put fish on your hooks for you totally. Leave the herd alone and write your own news is my motto. You have a fantastic oppoprtunity to break new ground on a personal front so why not sieze it. Just have confidence in your own ability and get out there.
I hear what the Guys above are saying about water temp but I would still be tempted to fish ocean fronts as well. If you want to know for sure you have to do it yourself. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.