Sea run cutthroat? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
troutbum..

Sea run cutthroat?

Hi guy's! I live near the alsea river, and have been fishing on it many many times. One of which I was introduced to my new favorite fish the Sea run cutthroat. Having chinook salmon leaping and swimming between your feet while you strip you line out casting to the conviently migrating healthy trout seems pretty Ideal to me. Plus theres alway's the off chance that you happen to entice a pissed off chinook to take a ride .. But anyway, searun season is coming up and I need some suggestions as far as flies go.. saddly my experiences fishing with them were just experiences.. all I ended up catching was a bunch of small rainbow's and one brown.. So, whats the new bug for these outrageous fishy's?

-Thanks guy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Hi, Zim,

I live on Alsea Bay and fish for SRC's every day, although most days I don't hook any. In fact, it's been more than a month since I released my last one. In years past, there have been SRC's to catch in the estuary at this time of year, but so far the fish seem to be elsewhere. I'm hoping things will pick up soon.

It's surprising to me that the're aren't more SRC's around, since the Bay is full of fall Chinook smolts, much to the delight of the cormorants and Caspian terns.

At one time, Alsea Bay was renowned for its 'blueback" fishery, but no more. A couple of seasons ago, the Bay was closed to the taking of SRC's, although I can find nothing in this year's regulations prohibiting their capture. I don't really know of any agency effort to monitor the popluation dynamics of sea-run cutthroat in the Alsea river system or estuary. My strictly unscientific observation is that the popultion is in decline.

I've caught SRC's from Clemens Park on down, but, as I said, most of my fishing is done in the lower estuary. Alsea Bay SRC's respond to a wide variety of flies, but, one of the most consistent has been John Shewey's "Alsea Special", which resembels a sand shrimp, at least in color combination. Another very good fly is the "Burlap Charlie" tied with an orange beard.

Alsea Special:

Hook: barbless No. 8 - No. 4 2x long
Tag: Silver
Tail: Pale Yellow and pale pink hackle fibers, mixed.
Rib: Silver embossed tinsel
Body: Yellow seal
Collar: Red and yellow hackles, mixed
Wing: White polar bear
Head: Black

Burlap Charlie
Hook: ring eye 1x stout
Rear 1/3 of body: Gold oval tinsel
Front 2/3: burlap picked out a bit to look fuzzy
Eyes: brass bead chain
Beard: orange calf-tail

One more thing: I notice you're from Corvallis and so probably fish pretty high up in the river. The SRC's will follow the salmon, as you point out, looking to snatch the occasional egg from a ripe fish. Consequently, egg patterns work very well when the Chinook are around.

Steelhead flies in small sizes work, too.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited by Eric; 07-05-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I love SRC.

I usually do well with something black and stripped back after the swing. Since I fish black for summer steelhead a lot and found myself hitting SRC on the way back for my next cast.

They seem to like small caddis patterns as well.

What a great fish the searun cutt is!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
troutbum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
Hi, Zim,

I live on Alsea Bay and fish for SRC's every day, although most days I don't hook any. In fact, it's been more than a month since I released my last one. In years past, there have been SRC's to catch in the estuary at this time of year, but so far the fish seem to be elsewhere. I'm hoping things will pick up soon.

It's surprising to me that the're aren't more SRC's around, since the Bay is full of fall Chinook smolts, much to the delight of the cormorants and Caspian terns.

At one time, Alsea Bay was renowned for its 'blueback" fishery, but no more. A couple of seasons ago, the Bay was closed to the taking of SRC's, although I can find nothing in this year's regulations prohibiting their capture. I don't really know of any agency effort to monitor the popluation dynamics of sea-run cutthroat in the Alsea river system or estuary. My strictly unscientific observation is that the popultion is in decline.

I've caught SRC's from Clemens Park on down, but, as I said, most of my fishing is done in the lower estuary. Alsea Bay SRC's respond to a wide variety of flies, but, one of the most consistent has been John Shewey's "Alsea Special", which resembels a sand shrimp, at least in color combination. Another very good fly is the "Burlap Charlie" tied with an orange beard.

Alsea Special:

Hook: barbless No. 8 - No. 4 2x long
Tag: Silver
Tail: Pale Yellow and pale pink hackle fibers, mixed.
Rib: Silver embossed tinsel
Body: Yellow seal
Collar: Red and yellow hackles, mixed
Wing: White polar bear
Head: Black

Burlap Charlie
Hook: ring eye 1x stout
Rear 1/3 of body: Gold oval tinsel
Front 2/3: burlap picked out a bit to look fuzzy
Eyes: brass bead chain
Beard: orange calf-tail

One more thing: I notice you're from Corvallis and so probably fish pretty high up in the river. The SRC's will follow the salmon, as you point out, looking to snatch the occasional egg from a ripe fish. Consequently, egg patterns work very well when the Chinook are around.

Steelhead flies in small sizes work, too.

Cheers,

Eric
Thanks for the help, does the shrimp work outside of the bay? I have fished this river with flies everywhere from clemens down to walport(on accident in a way.. another story ) mainly for chinook catch and release and for the everpresent trout but the "src's" are my faviorites..

I'll whip up a few of these flies between now and then, but do you think many steelhead or salmon flies would work? and whats a good time to go out? I know they are coming up soon'ish but it'd be cool to know more accuratly..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.