First time out this season - skunked - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM

First time out this season - skunked

Happy 4th everyone!

Finally got out for the first time this season (work's been absolutely nutz) - fishing up in Maine. Hit Ogunquit River this morning - only saw briefly a few small pods of fish pushing bait off the main beach. Hit the Mousam this afternoon where it dumps in to the Atlantic. Saw two small rat blues caught by some bait guys. Wind was whipping off the ocean.

Nada.

Will be out there tomorrow morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 06:55 PM

I just returned from two weeks in the Popham beach area. I never actually fished in the river but fished the beaches and rocks all the way to Cape Elizibeth and another smaller river in the vicinity and found the fishing was dead dead dead. White water dead. Rips dead. One spot we've fished for years, where all my kids have caught their first stripers, where school fish were 100% guarentee every single trip, dead, dead dead. First time skunked in that spot, ever. [Matt caught his first striper there at age 2, so that makes 12 years at least]. To add insult to injury, there were more mackeral around, big and little, than I ever remember and only once did I see fish, small fish working them. I saw a couple guys livelining big mackeral off the rocks into sweet whitewater at dusk with a SW wind. They should have had all the action they could handle. They never had a runoff.
Howda splain that?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Hit Ogunquit again this morning. Nasty morning - cold and windy - and misty rain all the time I was out there. No birds working and no bait in the water that I was near. A few chunkers working off the bridge and one other fly guy working the river downstream from the bridge.

Skunked again!

Looks like I've got to head south to MA. May get some time this coming weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.