Time Piece - Late for work again - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Local Boob

Time Piece - Late for work again

I'm looking to buy some sort of timepiece that can be submerged quite a bit or at least survive being left in the tankwell of a kayak.

I'm not much for watches, but just wondering if anyone had any suggestions - something with an alarm setting would probably be a good idea too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Fly chucker

This is what I recently got from Orvis:

It's pricy, but good grief is it durable. I purchased the one with the black face and it's very good in the salt water.

Alas, it has no alarm, so you'd just have to grin and wear it like everyone else.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Local Boob

That would totally wreck my image. First a watch and then whats next shoes, pants???? Where would it end???!!!

Hey should I fish the spot where we saw the monster tonight for the incomming or yak it to fish the outgoing at like 3am in pleasant bay???
Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Fly chucker

Where we saw the monster, at sunset on the incoming, with a schoolie sized fly.

(Another feature of the watch: it has a photo cell, so when there isn't enough ambient light the hands automatically glow so you can still read the time without a flashlight.)
Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

that orvis watch looks practical and durable

I received a Victorinox Swiss Army watch over a decade ago as a gift. One battery change later it still keeps Swiss time and is indestructible in water or active sports. Waterproof to 330 ft which means I fell overboard and have already imploded.

Stainless frame and band in silver / white faced. Very simple but one of the truly faithful companions I've had for the last 15 years. Those I meet with the same watch are equally amazed with their luck.

I would recommend it to anyone.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM

I am partial to cheap plastic watches...

You can't lose with a Timex ironman. Cheap, durable enough and you won't cry when you lose/dunk/scratch/drop/runover it. Has an alarm and all kinds of stop watch functions. It should last about two years (more or less).
I've had good luck for the last few years with a "FreeStyle" Tide watch. Around 75 bucks. I would get the brusshed bezel as the blk one will eventually get scratched up.
I used to have a Casio that was great (around a hundred). Compas, tides, barometer. I really liked that one too.
Plastic watches are disposable.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
I've been wearing a Seiko titanium for years now. Keeps good time and totally salt and water proof.

If you are looking for something to stick to the yak, visit a motorcycle outfitters and get one of those stick on waterproof clock faces, They are small as they are supposed to be stuck onto the centre of the speedo. Cheap too.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
You can't lose with a Timex ironman. Cheap, durable enough and you won't cry when you lose/dunk/scratch/drop/runover it. Has an alarm and all kinds of stop watch functions. It should last about two years (more or less).
I've had good luck for the last few years with a "FreeStyle" Tide watch. Around 75 bucks. I would get the brusshed bezel as the blk one will eventually get scratched up.
I used to have a Casio that was great (around a hundred). Compas, tides, barometer. I really liked that one too.
Plastic watches are disposable.
I'll tell you what. I'm about to wear out the third band for my Timex Ironman. This thing just won't quit. I have owned it at least 6 years and it is still waterproof and works perfectly.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:24 PM

YOu know what JOhn Cameron Swayzy said...take s a licking...etc.
Juro, glad to see you've made a full recovery from that accident! I imagine it's hard to live life inside out!! (:
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.