Favorite Single Malt - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 PM

Favorite Single Malt

Sommer is a cummin in, and I was thinking of those wonderful Deschutes evenings post working a drift until the stars took over, and then retiring to the spike camp for a relaxing dram of Lagavulin and a recounting of the evening's encounters with my favorite fish.

Hard to pick a favorite single malt. I have favorite Speys and favorite Islays and so forth.

Anyone out there propose a few labels we should look for?

Cheers,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 05:33 AM
In moderation

I like Auchantoshan Three Wood. It is a lowland malt

I am not a great fan of Islay Malts as I find them too smokey.
I used to drink a lot of Lagavulan but I decided that it is a bit like drinking Asphalt.

An interesting Speyside malt is also Glenrothes.

If you want to try someting really interesting then look up "Red Breast" it is an Irish whisky with a very distinct taste.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Eric,

Griz07 (Chuck Hudak) just hosted a scotch tasting and wonderful dinner in a Chatham cottage, all cask strength stuff and all exquisite from the Springbank Distillery. I particularly liked the Northport, but the sherry cask was distinct as well.

Leland Miyawaki, Brian (doublespey), Ryan Petzold and I killed a bottle of 25 year Springbank in a rustic seaside salmon shack between long days flyrodding for ocean coho. Between the crisp pacific air and pungent tides the caramelly essence left an indellible taste on the palate that comes back sometimes still

I would have to say that if I had one bottle left in life it would be one of the Springbanks - partly because of the sentimental but 99% because to me it tastes exactly as scotch should.

For more available scotches I prefer the older Macallans, The limousine oak Glinlivet, and the double wood Glenmorangie to name a few.

Eric I want to share a toast to the Deschutes steelhead with you on that bank. Just help me keep the scorpions out of my shoes and the cacti barbs out of my ass and I will bring the scotch!

Peter -

I assume "red breast" refers to the robin, the harbinger of spring. Although I am not 100% sure having been out to closing in bars with you
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
In moderation

Hey Juro
I feel pretty sure that we killed a bottle of Red Breast on my last vist.
My memory is a little vague, however.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Single Malts

I have not yet been to the Northwest to fish, however i would gladly make the effort and put on a tasting out there for the forum. I let my mood and type of day to influence me on my single selection for the night or day. For any who is new to this, you can not go wrong with a MacCallan or Glen Morganinge or a lowland malt.My personal favorites are Springbank for everyday and Arbeg for those days when the cold goes right to the bones.
Slainte,
Grizz0707
Chuck
Old 07-02-2007, 05:06 AM

I have developed a fondness for Glenlevit myself, But one cannot go wrong with MacCallun or Glen Morganinge or the list goes on.....................
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Middle Aged Member

The more I drink 'em the more I like 'em...all of them. It's a mood and state of the taste buds thing. Fall back is a highland, McCallum, Oban, Glen Morainge. I really like the Balvienies, especially the 15 year old. Just finished off an 18 yr old Taliskers that I really liked, from Sky, I think.

Grizz's tasting events are a "don't want to miss" if you get the chance. Fine single cask sampling and a bottle of your favorite can be had for a reasonable price.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Token Gear Guy

My favorite single malt is a beer.

Fish on...

Todd
Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM

My favorite is Springbank 21yr old, if you can find it and shell out the $$$. Others I like:

Islay Bruichladdich – Fine15 finished in CH Yquem barrels.

Lowland Auchentoshan 21 yr old

Fettercairn Glenmorangie

Speyside Macallan, Glenrothes
Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
I like Auchantoshan Three Wood. It is a lowland malt

I am not a great fan of Islay Malts as I find them too smokey.
I used to drink a lot of Lagavulan but I decided that it is a bit like drinking Asphalt.

An interesting Speyside malt is also Glenrothes.

If you want to try someting really interesting then look up "Red Breast" it is an Irish whisky with a very distinct taste.

I'm with Pete, Auchantoshan 3 is a favorite. Balvenie Double wood is very nice also, i'd say my favorite for the price. I also feel the same about Islay malts. Taste like something better suited for curing roe. A buddy had a bottle of Laphroig Cask Strength in the boat last fall, smells like dirty BandAids, or rotting kelp and sea salt. Since then I can't even stand the sight of Highland Park, or anything from the northern islands.

Springbank is tops also, but out of my price range at the current time.

Last edited by Jamey McLeod; 07-24-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:54 PM

"old pulteney" 19 yr old full cask strength-if you can find it. i got a bottle in scotland at the distillary in 2003. been looking for it in the states ever since. this is a highland malt from the northern most distillery in scotland,right on the north sea coast. the malt has a unique (though slight) essence of the sea- remenicent of that wonderful briney aroma that gives us that "ahhhhh" on an early fall chatham morning when we inhale deeply through our nostrils to get a deeper whiff of the salt air. all right, perhaps a bit dramatic, but the stuff is unique and is of the sea-as are we.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 AM

Glenfarclas 15 or 18
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM

A good malt is relative to the budget at the time, Aberlour for when we are poor. 16 year Lagavulin (Islays are for MEN) or Highland park (Orkney for slightly smaller men) when we are a little more flush. some of the highlands or speysides when we are in a little more refined company and lowlands when there are women present. However it takes a REAL MAN to appreciate the ARDBEG or Laphroig.
Ramsay
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Funny -- out of all the exotic and wonderful Scotches mentioned, no one nominated that perpetual gold medal winner: The Macallan.

The few times I've tried Macallan, I thought it was a wonderful whisky but didn't taste very "scotchy." I wouldn't turn a dram down were it offered to me, but it certainly would not be a Scotch of perference.

Palates differ. I like both robust Spey malts (e.g., Cragganmore) and Islays. The Speys, with a splash of water, go well early in the evening. The Islays are for the after hours. A dram of Lagavulin is my favorite nightcap.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish I were rich enough to afford half of them.

Cheers,

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.