Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flaming Gorge - Green River Trip

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  NorCalcaster 
#1 ·
My girlfriend and I are considering a flyfishing trip to the Green River in late July or early August. We have never been there before, and we are wondering if anyone has any input about fishing that area during that time of year.

#4 ·
"I was wondering actually if those waters were under significant pressure."

You have got to be kidding, the Green is one of the most heavily fished rivers anywhere. Tons boats and rec tubers in the summer. Easy in the spring, much harder to catch fish in the summer. Plenty of better choices around.

#5 ·
Green

As you can see I'm from utah and guided out there for a few years but it was a while ago. The Green has high pressure and the fish look it but it is still one of the most beutifull places to fish in the West. Late August will be terrestrial time so pack some Hoppers, Ants, Bettles etc. Scuds are always present as are midges of all sorts and caddis. Maybe PMDs or if it cools down and gets rainy, then blue wings. Are you going to float it or walk it and do you want a guide or on your own. For a good guide get Charlie Card out of the Flaming gorge lodge, he is one of the best and a good guy to spend a day with. If you want to float it on your own, you can rent a raft and there is a shuttle to help transport you. It isn't a very technical float so almost anyone can do it and it will help alittle (not much) as far as crowds go. Expect mostly Bows and Browns and keep in mind that these fish are heavily fished so it is often best to fish small stuff. Don't ever fish a dry without a dropper behind it. If you like streamers, don't be afraid to swing a few, you will get bigger fish this way and they tend to be fish with a little more "spunk". Alot of the fish out there don't fight very well, they seem to know the drill.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the input.

After reading a few of the replies to my post, and after some research, we have decided to head to Northern Idaho instead. We are going to give the St. Joe and a few other local streams a chance. We do want to hit the Green but will put it off until next Spring.

Thanks again to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.