Where are the fish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 05:54 PM

Where are the fish?

I'm not hearing good things about the salmon runs on most rivers in Atlantic Canada to date. Few fish in Restigouche and Cascapedia so far? Elsewhere? Are things just late or do we have a problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 PM

I hope that it's picked up since I left Gaspe last week. The York and the Dartmouth offered very tough fishing when I was there between the 6th and 11th with few fish in the rivers. I'd love to know what the current situation is.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Any word on the Matane River?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM

I was on the Matane on saturday, they started the fish way on thursday Pm (June 14Th), until saturday, 6 salmons were counted, but before they close the dam, an estimation of 40 fish have jumped over, most very big fish, but at least 1 grilse: we missed it on Cap Seize with a dry! For Matane, the situation is normal, we will know more by the end of the month, this river is not an early run river. 2 salmon were caught on saturday, 1 bellow the dam, 1 up river.

We were on the Matapedia on sunday, fishing is very slow, some fish have been seen but warm water doesn't help the success.

News from the Cascapedia mentioned that's very slow there too, same for the Bonnie, with only 5 salmons caught since the opening, all within the last 3-4 days.

It seems the run is late everywhere, the most logical reason is an exceptional situation with ice fields in the straight of Belle Isle, something we have seen couple times in the past particularly in 2002 and in 1991.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Snide44, Are you the son of famous Lori Snider who fished almost every inch of the Matane in his day along with Cole Wile and Bob Carol? If so, you may remember me from the days of camping on Chasse's farm, perhaps 30 years ago. I camped in the back field near where Bob Carol used to set up.

Pierre, Good to hear that you still are with us. I for sure will bump into you this year.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 PM

I have just returned from a week on the Grande Cascapedia and Bonaventure. The fishing was great. The catching was not. Slow as 2002 and very hot sunny weather. Water temps on the GC and Bonnie are still in the mid 50's but the Matapedia is close to 67 already. She will push 70 this week if the weather remains the same. I know you are watching the weather forecasts as I do but when the forecast says it is 75 in New Richmond it it has been as high as 93 away from the bay. If it does not rain soon there will be real trouble. The Grande is 2 feet below normal for this time and the other rivers are in the same situation. We had mid July conditions on the 15th of June.

There is a small run in progress on the Matapedia. I saw 20 fish below the bridge in town on Saturday night. These fish were in the 10 to 15 pound class and one was a larger fish that we expect to see on the early run. This tells me that the normal mid run has started and should build toward the end of the month as usual.(pray for rain) I don't think that there are many in the river yet and water temps are going to play a big factor in the fish taking.

If it is not the ice, as every one is blaming this year, and the big ones don't come soon I am afraid that the large size early fish will be very scarce on the beds this fall. Causapscal numbers are very low and Glen Emma is reporting only a small number landed. R.S.C. reports are of catches below 20 fish so far. I floated both branches of the Grande Cascapedia as well as B4 on the Bonnie and did not see a fish in crystal clear low water conditions. We did see three fish on the Bonnie B-3 and they were not the larger fish. Reports after floating the entire Pitite was that seven fish were spotted. A few were fished but would not take.

So, for the week in a party of three, we had one fish of 33 pounds from pool 100 of the Salmon branch on the Grande. One of us is happy and it is not me.

Theory 1- The early run of large females has happened and they are very few in number.

Theory 2- The early run of large females has been held up by the ice pack and we will see them after the next good rain.

Can anyone think of what theory 3 might be?

C.R.O.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
S33
Sorry to hear . . . I head to those rivers tomorrow for a week. Sure hope it changes.
Bill
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Salar33

Nobody expected 2007 to be a very good year for very big fish, since 2006 was a bit low for salmon in the 13-14 pounds range (2 years). But better than what we see until now...I am still confident that we will have some surprise in the next couple weeks, like we had in 2002 (the Causapscal had seen 50% of the run in the beginning of july rather than beginning june) or 1991 (lot of 20-30 pounds in mid July), when the same ice situation arrived.

My biggest concern at this point is: will we have water to allow these fish to go upriver? This is not critical yet, but we fished in 72 degres water saturday...
Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Umm. I don't want to be alarmist, but Environment Canada's marine ice site shows normal ice cover in the Strait of Belle Isle, though some increased ice each side of the entrance to the strait from the open ocean. If the link doesn't show, you can easily get to it from the Env. Canada weather site.

<http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/WIS57DPTCT/20070611000000_WIS57DPTCT_0003167049.gif>

Str. Belle Isle ice cover is < 1/10 WMO colour concentration (whatever that is), which is the lowest category above open water.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Question Where are the fish?

One look at CGRMP.com statistics and one can see they are either late, or not on average for the last couple years. Theory 1?, Theory 2? How about those of you who have been out to the three main Gaspe (proper) rivers? Anyone care to elaborate on numbers of fish you have seen??
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Back from Gaspe

Fished the week 6/12-6/17. Mostly public water. Fished over fish every day. New moon... HOT!!...Caplin Rolling...No takers for me. One strike by sea run brookie...
Dry fly...Landed 17". Others caught fish, but it was tough to find a taker, and I just can't cover much ground any more...although I do cover the water that I'm fishing.
Cooling back down this week...better fishing ahead.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Well, there's at least one 18 lb bright hen returned to the Bonnie today.
Bill
Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Schweet!

Are you staying with Glen?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM

not talking, but a 30-35 lb silver blue bright dancer released today. Too much info already.
B
Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 PM

here tis
enough
B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverbrightsm.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	6437  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.