Lost Rod and Reel - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to RobJon
Unhappy Lost Rod and Reel

You hear about it from time to time well it finally happened to me. I was fishing the Ausable(NY), Tom's pool to be exact at the end of Signor road, in a hurry to meet a friend I leaned my Rod and reel against my truck, got undressed and drove away. I realized it a couple hours later and rushed back, my gear was gone. I'm hoping it was found by stand up guy or gal and they will return it. What was lost was a Canadian made Loomis IMX 9' 5 weight with a Waterworks Force 2 reel(grey fly line)(red Simms reel cover). I am really attached to this rod as I have had it for 20 years. If anyone finds it or knows someone who has please contact me through the board or just drop it off at the Hungry Trout fly shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it back!

I've never lost anything big thankfully. My buddy lost a brand new trout reel up at Grand Lake Stream a few weeks ago on the first day he ever used it. He fell in the river and the reel fell off the rod in waist deep water and he couldn't find it. Unfortunately the line wasn't through the guides because he had cut off the fly and reeled it all on to the reel in order to walk back the car.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 PM

i just this year left custom rod/reel bout 1200 bucks just left it stream side near ausable forks. within sight from a bridge in nearby town. overnight to boot as i had to give up looking from darkness. came to me in dream and next am i went to spot and there she was.

i only hope you will have same karma. i pray world has not gone too sour and that it will show at the hungry trout. within 3 years my trout rod has aquired real sentimental value and i would hate to lose a fishing buddy of 20 years!

maybe post reward on adirondak site or local fish and game. i do hope you get her back. maybe get word around with some of the local guides?

that sucks
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Talking Thank God for Karma

I just got off the phone with a wonderful lady named Susan, she called to let me know she found my rod, she actually saw me drive off and the rod fall to the ground. She told me she waited for quite awhile and finally went home. Luckily I left enough signs up and letter with the nearest neighbor with my coordinates that she was able to reach me. This has to be one of the happiest moments of my life, I wish I could drive down and pick it up but I'm stuck at work until the end of the week. I owe her big and will make good on the debt!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Is she cute?

Sorry couldn't resist
Old 06-25-2007, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure if she's cute but she is Beautiful on the inside and I'm grateful for that.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Fly chucker

Glad to hear that things worked out for you. Enjoy more time with your rod and reel, and catch more fish.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Beauty isn't just skin deep! What a great story.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM

I love happy endings. The smart money says that this person was a flyfisher!!

Millerbrown
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM

RobJon:

As a guide for the Hungry Trout fly shop, it's always nice to hear about the "quality folks" that live down in and around Ausable Acres. Just about the time you had your close call, another gentleman showed up at the shop with the sorry tale of a Grainger Rod left at his last stop with not such a happy ending. Glad to hear that things worked out for you.

DaveG
Old 06-30-2007, 04:31 AM

Well it's official, I drove down Thursday morning to reunite with my rod(there are times when ditching work is allowed), I met Susan right where I had left it, luckily there wasn't a scratch on it and I hadn't driven over the tip when I had left it behind. I figured there was no point rushing back to the city so I drove up river and had a chat with Nancy at the Hungry Trout, had some lunch and did a little afternoon fishing producing one small fish(not much happens mid-day on the Ausable this time of year). A little later I finished off the day in one of my favorite spots, missing countless strikes but landing 6 fish, one being an 18+ Brown, my rod still works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.