Orvis customer service... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Orvis customer service...

... is awesome. You always see the complaints about companies posted so I like to post the positive stuff too! I broke my Orvis Superfine in Grand Lake Stream in two places a few weeks ago and shipped it back to Orvis a couple of weeks ago for repair. They said it would be at least 4-6 weeks before I'd hear anything, and then yesterday, only 2 weeks after shipping it, I had a package on my doorstep. I bought the rod used so never had a warranty card for it, but they really don't care. Not only did I get a whole rod back, but it's one of the new Superfine series that costs $495 instead of my old rod. It's in the same tube and maybe even the same sock, but it's definitely not the same rod! I'm really interested to compare it to the old Superfine series rods which are so well loved by every single person that owns one. I usually buy a new rod every year and because of this I think next year's will be another Orvis.

Thanks Orvis!

Last edited by teflon_jones; 06-21-2007 at 05:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 10:30 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Mmmmm....has me thinking more about getting a pair of their waders as replacement for my old/now leaky Bean waders....any input from folks on their waders?
Flydoc
Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to Finni
I have a pair of Silver Label II and my wife has a pair of the Tailwaters XT. Both are nice, but I give the edge to the Tailwaters (almost twice the cost of the Silver Labels), which seem to be a little thicker and more durable. Neither have leaked (except for when I bashed my shin on a barnacle rock which patched up just fine). I had a buckle break on my pair about a year after I bought them, and the local Orvis store replaced them without any hassle. The gravel guards on the Silver labels are a highly inefficient (they don't seal to your boots, thus allowing gravel easy entrance), but I have learned to live with it (I am not sure, but Orvis may have fixed that problem since I purchased mine).

These are my first pairs of breathable waders, so I don't have much to compare them to. All in all, decent waders at a pretty good price, with great customer service backing them up.

Hope that helps,
Finni
Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Simms Guide Weight for me. Tough stuff, no leaks for years. Lifespan for me exceeds 4-5 years with little care.

Easy fix if you poke them - a swab of isopropyl alchohol turns the puncture black on the inside fabric. Smear a little aquaseal on it and it's good as gold in the morning.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Middle Aged Member

I've had two pair of silverlabels and now have the tailwaters since 2000. Paid for the first and they keep replacing when I have a problem. I did have to kick in a $100 to upgrade to the tailwaters. The tailwaters developed a leak after 2 years but patch on the outside took care of that. When repairing I found the inside fabric to be badly worn so once the wet wading season starts I'll send them back.

Service and warrentee is great but I'm disappointed with the life of my last two pair.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I have the silver labels and they haven't had a leak in 3 (4?) years. I use them for wading and float tubing and hike through woods a lot catching them on rocks and sticks so they haven't been babied, but they've held up perfectly.

The old ones just came with neoprene gravel guards you velcro over your boots/calves, but the new ones have integrated gravel guards.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 PM

sweet service

bean

replaced anytime with 72 hour turnaround if in stock. any pricepoint. this alone has come in handy twice or thrice.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 PM

orvis waders

"Mmmmm....has me thinking more about getting a pair of their waders as replacement for my old/now leaky Bean waders....any input from folks on their waders?
Flydoc"

I suggest, Flydoc, that you scour all flyfishing forums in your consideration of your purchase of Orvis waders, especially the breathable bootfoot waders, which, incidentally, no longer carry the Orvis replacement warrantee, if you look in their newest flyfishing catalog. Bootfoot breathables are excluded from the orvis customer satisfaction warrantee and/but can be returned to their factory for a fee of $30 to be repaired in case of leakage. I can attest to leakage in every pair of Orvis bootfoots I've owned and while not being more specific, I can say I've returned and had replaced over 10 pairs! Many over 10. In speaking to an Orvis rep while on vacation, he said a new version will be introduced in 2008 and you may want to wait till then.

After giving up on my leaking Orvis waders and getting a refund, I purchased a pair of Simms Guide bootfoots and for a year I've been dry. Another member of our flyfishing family has purchased a pair of Snowbee XS bootfoot breathables and has also been leakfree for this fishing season so far. He, too, had had numerous leakage problems with his Silver Label bootfoots. So, I'd suggest researching other than the Orvis brand of bootfoots. The stockingfoot models seem to hold up better, from what I've heard. Hope this helps.

Last edited by flysully; 06-30-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.