Bluefish Landing Releasing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Local Boob

Bluefish Landing Releasing

I was on a Pike trip with Dble Haul and Frenchcreek.

Naturally the best way to land and release a pike I learned on my last day fishing - for those interested the "Pretty Please open your mouth and give me back my fly" method is not very effective. The pike rag rules!!!

So I figured I'd ask if anyone had any bluefish handling or releasing tricks. Right now I use the - hope like hell they get off near shore, the throw a roll cast at the fish's face to get the hook to pop out, and the boga/pliers when those fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Smalls and mediums get grabed behind the head like a snake. Pliers for hook removal are essential - not just because of the teeth. The jaw bones are tough to to pull hooks from.
Large ones get grabed by the tail. Lay 'em down and pin them with a firm hand.
Extra big ones get kneeled on.
Seriously, those big ones are devious. They watch you and wait for just the right moment to thrash. My worst fishing injury ever occured when a jumbo thrashed as I reached for the plug and put a magnum treble deep into my hand then did cartwheels while still pinned to me. It hurt. The real bummer was it was an epic blitz of jumbo blues and bass so after ripping the hook out with brute force I fished for two more hours. What? You think I was gonna quit just for a slight maiming? Heck, they sold peroxide and beer at the camp store. What more first aid would I need?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 PM

The answer is elementary.....if you are fishing with a buddy...give it to him to take the fly out
Ron
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM
LBFF Mojo

In my kayak I bring a dowel with a cup hook holder screwed into the end. Just run the cup hook down the leader and once you make contact with the hook push in and twist. Hook comes right out most of the time.

If that fails takes Ron's advice

-sean
Old 06-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
In my kayak I bring a dowel with a cup hook holder screwed into the end. Just run the cup hook down the leader and once you make contact with the hook push in and twist. Hook comes right out most of the time.
This falls into the realm of "why didn't I think of that?"
Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Local Boob

Glad to see you like that idea Mark...because I'm more partial to Ron's suggestion which boils down to making you do it.

Actually that idea is pretty genius - basically a big ketchum release - no more bluefish in the lap for me.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan
Glad to see you like that idea Mark...because I'm more partial to Ron's suggestion which boils down to making you do it.
Again, don't make me hate you.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Booofish are scary

Two years ago with a surf rod and a big plug, I caught two booofish at the same time. And neither one came off. Worst fishng day of my life. It must have taken me 15 minutes to get those fish off. Great fight though, At first I thought I had a huge one. Nope two decent size instead.
What was tough was one would be thrashing while I was trying to work on the other. lol On a Jetty lol.
I watched a guy once grab the fish under the gills at the throat and remove it that way. I have yet to try it.
I use a foot to hold it down, and forceps, one heavy rapala type on to hold the mouth open and another smaller one to remove the hook. Works for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 AM

1) Use barbless hooks.
2) Plop fly out.
3) If fly is deep in patient's throat, use a device called a hook-out.

I've stopped using the boga grip on anything but large bluefish because I've found that it can take a little while for the blue to open its mouth. Seriously, the barbless fly makes it so much faster and easier on the fish. When its a blitz (any species), the barbless fly gives you so much more time to foul up your cast than pulling the hook out.

I'm sure most of you know about the hook-out, but in case you've never seen one, it looks like a gun. The handle allows you to open and close a small set of jaws. The "barrel" is quite long and slim and can fit down their mouths with ease. Its only draw back is it's not the easiest thing to carry with you when wading.

I'd agree that handling the bluefish behind the head is what works for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Thanks Paxton, now I know why you want me to go fishing with you....

FWIW I always tail blues, whip out my pliers and wrestle the hook out. Then I count my fingers....They do have tough jaws and very sharp teeth. Years ago before I started flyfishing the salt I caught a blue from a boat and had the pleasant experience of getting my right thumb lodged in the blue's mouth after losing my balance as another boat went by. I still have the scars.

Another thought, I've been fishing barbless for years now, and it sure makes getting the hook out a lot easier, from the fish and my ears.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have been working on my LDR technique with blues lately and the success rate is climbing.

I always use barbless hooks. When I hook a blue, I tighten up enough to keep the fish fighting then slack line when it's head shaking and I frequently get everything back. The leader needs to be cut back of course.

The trick is to hold them back so they headshake. If they cut you then you're toast. Since most of my bluefish cutoffs occur later in the fight, the percentages are high that a slack line spit off will work.

I have only lost a few to blues since I started doing this. In fact only one all year so far despite hooking a fair number including some over 10# on Nauset recently.

- identify if it's a blue right away, the earlier the better
- once you see the forked tail or color apply the technique, don't fight it normally
- keep it out of the surfline or your chances of cutoff increase dramatically

Of course wire is a better solution

After tailing the finger/thumb grip at the base of the gill membranes is very effective and it does not cause bleeding if done right. However it does not make the fish open it's rock hard jaws! Man blues are nasty creatures.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polareyez
Another thought, I've been fishing barbless for years now, and it sure makes getting the hook out a lot easier, from the fish and my ears.

I can now attest to that. Pinch that barb down & the good captain will not bore you to tears on the painful ride back in with stories of how he has taken hooks out of other hapless souls

BTW Keith, my wife has suggested a football helmet when casting in the wind....... She is still mad her seal watching got cut short...Heh Heh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.