fly rods :( - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 PM

fly rods :(

i have a pfleuger fly rod and reel right now ( the cheap one at dicks) and want to upgrade, what should i upgrade to for trout, smallies and crappie? my price range is 150 and under!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

I assume you already have a fly line to go with the rod you already have, which means you really don't need to get another line, unless it is an untapered, level one, in which case you should get yourself a WF floating line.

The Pflueger reel will work just fine for any trout, bass, or crappie, so you don't need a reel. Back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's Pleuger reels were considered to among the best and several fly fishing authors and professionals used them (the late Joe Brooks and Dan Bailey come readily to mind). So, save yourself the price of a reel and keep using the one you have for now and put your money into a better rod.

Therefore, all you really need is a better rod. If you already have a WF line with your Pfleuger set-up, get a rod of the same line weight. TFO, Redington, St. Croix, Lamiglas all make rods for $150.00 and under and all of them are decent casting rods as well. The best thing to do would be go to a fly shop that carries some of them and casts them in the parking lot. Then pick the one you like best.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Fly Rod Selection

I currently own and use 3 rods. A 2wt. and 6 wt. Cabela's rod and, my favorite, a G.Loomis GLX 4wt.

I would like to add one last rod to this collection. I believe it would be a 3 wt or a 5 wt. Since I primarily fish strip pits and pons for sunfish, bluegill, and bass, I am leaning towardsthe 3wt. end of the spectrum.

My question is, which company should I go for in the upper end of the fly rods available? Should it be the Zero Gravity of Orvis, the Sage TCR, or a Winston, or Redington, or something else entirely.

I would appreciate findings on 3 wt rods from these companies.

Thanks
Woollybully
Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM
troutbum..

I love my temple fork signature series 5wt.. I just caught a good solid 18-20in trout on it, and these were some picky fishy's.. It casts like a charm for me anyway..
Old 08-25-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybully

My question is, which company should I go for in the upper end of the fly rods available? Should it be the Zero Gravity of Orvis, the Sage TCR, or a Winston, or Redington, or something else entirely.
A word on the Sage TCR, it is a very stiff fast action rod designed to cast flies along way. As Sage advertises it for the experienced technical caster or some such thing. (Wide large rivers come to mind.) A Sage SLT or Z-axis would probably be a better choice.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:50 AM

I love my orvis 3 weight (rocky mountain 6 and a half footer) with my old style battenkill 3-4. It's hard to throw bass flies with though. It is definitley more for tight quarters. I am currently salivating over the 9 foot Orvis Zero grav rods...
Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Far Out Fisherman

I would just stick with what you got. I think I have The same one. If it is an okay rod keep it and use it. I dont think your going to get a good rod for under $150. Maby for 200 you might.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM
The Flyster

TFO / Hobbs Creek combo

I too have a Pfleuger rod, as a backup. I primarily use a 5wt. 9ft. TFO Lefty Kreh series rod. Absolutely love it. They have a lifetime warranty, and I have cashed in on it three times already. They have a no-questions-asked policy, so you pay $25 or so and you have a brand new rod in 1-2 weeks. They are hands down the best value for the money.

Regarding reels, Hobbs Creek (I believe it is a Bass Pro Shops brand) makes a dang nice reel for around $40. It is a large arbor, metal reel with a disc drag - for $40 bucks!

Checkout a review on both of these items here : (link removed)

Last edited by juro; 05-08-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 PM

You should also look into the Echo Classic rods. I have one in a 10ft 7wt that I really like. My buddy has the 7'6" 3wt and that's a pretty nice rod too. And they have the warranty, a no questions asked, just send in the rod and $30. I already used my warranty once, and got a rod back in less than two weeks. The rods are right at the top of your price range, $150, but worth it IMHO.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Salmo Scout

TFO Rods

I want to throw in that the TFO rods, especially for the money, are really good rods. I have a two hander and a 5wt and both are well made and feel terrific casting. You can always add a specialty rod later but it's a great way to start and it will stay a favorite rod for a long time. Hard to go wrong with TFO and I 've tried every major brand except Winston.......
Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
FFF CCI

You may want to take a look at LL Bean's Streamlight rods. Depending on the weight and how many pieces, they start at $99.00 and go up to $155.00. A decent rod for the money and you can't beat their guarantee and customer service.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:11 AM

I am also a fan of Tim Rajeff's Echo rods - they represent great value for money and his no-quibble warranty is great.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybully

I would appreciate findings on 3 wt rods from these companies.

Thanks
Woollybully
I will answer your question after you answer mine: I am going to a ice cream shop tommorow night, what kind of ice cream should I get, Vanilla, Mint Chip, or chocolate?

That is exactly the kind of question you are asking! BTW, the tcr will be discontinued so should discounted %30 -%40 within the next 4 or so months.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balticflyfisher
I am also a fan of Tim Rajeff's Echo rods - they represent great value for money and his no-quibble warranty is great.
Where are his blanks made? The US or overseas?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Pullin' Thread

ECHO blanks and completed rods are made in China to Tim Rajeff's specs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.