Biggest Shad of the year - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 PM

Biggest Shad of the year

The water was up today because of so vagary of the power company. It wasn't as high as a few days ago because of the rain but high non the less. I couldn't get to my normal spots so I went to Rock Dam, a natural constriction of the river. There were not a lot of fish moving through, but I did pick up the two largest fish I've caught this year. They were both over five pounds and thought they were Atlantic Salmon the way they went vertical and ran me right to the edge of my backing. Q we should do well on Tuesday you know who willing.
Larry aka shadfreak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Larry do you know if they still have a viewing gallery at the fish ladder there?
I'm curious what the herring [alewife] run was like this season. Anyone seen any numbers on what's passed the ladder there?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 AM

this years counts

Mike
There is a viewing area in Turners Falls and one in Holyoke. The counts are down this year and the herring numbers are abysmal. These are the counts as of ten days ago.
>

Total fish counts as of Thursday, May 31, 2007

American Shad 145456

Atlantic Salmon 74

ATS, Released 10

Blueback Herring 74

Gizzard Shad 51

Other (ATS) 1

Sea Lamprey 32109

Shortnose Sturgeon 1

Striped Bass 69

The total number of Atlantic salmon returns listed above includes the number released.

This is the most recent data that I know of. You can go to this website and get the historical data as well. This is only for the Connecticut River drainage.

http://www.fws.gov/r5crc/Fish/daily.html

Larry

space

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.