A future Clave sight: Cuttyhunk - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2000, 10:39 AM

A future Clave sight: Cuttyhunk

A couple of interesting websites. In poking around I found this locale of interest. Turns out COnnecticut Surfcasters already Clave there. Talk about in the pathway of Tunoids!

<a href="http://www.CuttyhunkFishingClub.com/" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.CuttyhunkFishingClub.com/</a><!--auto-->
<a href="http://stripersurf.com/csa/cuttyhunk.html" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://stripersurf.com/csa/cuttyhunk.html</a><!--auto-->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2000, 12:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:A future Clave sight: Cuttyhunk

Terry -

Sounds interesting... how would it work? How do we get there? Can we bring cars? Is there reasonable lodging or camping? What are the best links for active reports in the area?

Cool idea.

Juro
Old 08-01-2000, 01:18 PM

Cuttyhunk aerial...

Generally interesting...

<!--http--><a href="http://www.aerialsonly.com/mass.htm" target="_blank">AWESOME AERIALS</a><!--url-->
Old 08-01-2000, 01:27 PM

All your questions are answerable at above links.
This Island is small and remote. One can get a round trip ferry for $17 from New Bedford (same day, non same day must be similar). The only accomadations is the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club B+B. A former high grade fishing club. Rooms from $69 to $250. I tried calling them but I got a machine recording with little info. There are also house rentals. 4 bedroom for $800 to $2000. So it seems the B+B would have to be affordable to get a group in there. Check out the Conn. SurfCasters page on their tourney they hold there.
I guess iut comes down to $$ for accomadations. I'll keep diggin.

Terry
Old 08-01-2000, 01:32 PM

No cars, foot travel only, maybe bring bikes? In viewing pictures of the B+B I get the feeling it's more like an elaborate Salmon Club on the Merimachi. I'll find out anyway.

Terry
Old 08-01-2000, 02:28 PM

I got some email back from one rental outfit. This woman was friendly enough. Basically we are talking <b>$50 per man per night</b>. Here is the info. A bit steep but maybe a mode we could do some time.

Hi Terry Nice talking to you. I can accomodate up to 13 guys before they start sleeping double or on the floor. But I can also supply sleeping bags and pads for the floor if here should be more than 13. Below is my info cheet. Please don't hesitate to call 508-991-7337 or e-mail lowtay@airbridge.net if you have questions or want to make a firm reservation. As I write, all three units are open the first weekend after Labor Day. Hope to see you on the island.
Cordially, Low

CUTTYHUNK RENTAL APARTMENTS The basic layout of all three apartments is the same: that is, each has one bedroom as well as a living room in which people can sleep. Each has a kitchen that is open to the living room.

The main difference lies in the size and arrangement of the facilities.

The MAIN HOUSE (centrally heated) has a large, working kitchen (great view) w/ dishwasher and large table that expands to seat eight. The bedroom (queen sized bed plus youth bed) looks out on the rising moon and distant lighthouse at Gay Head. The living room has a Franklin wood
stove and a built-in Murphy bed (sleeps two), which can be closed off from the living- room by a fold-door (making a second bedroom), and two, built-in, cot-bunk-couches. The huge, cool, shaded, deck, securely fenced for toddlers, has a picnic table and built in barbecue. The view from the
deck is lovely.

The LITTLE HOUSE (electric heat) is similar--a bedroom (one double, one single bed) and a large living-room (with woodstove). The living room sleeps two on double bed and two on couches. It is U-shaped: at one end, is a double bed which can be closed off by a fold-door; 18 feet of glass
face water view across the bottom (east), and another twenty-four feet of glass face south coming up the other end to the eating area (table seats 6-8) and small kitchen. The views of Islands, Bay and Sound are very nice; there's a large, sunny deck with table and barbecue area. Itís the
quietest and most private apartment..

Finally, the EFFICIENCY (electric heat) boasts a small but beautiful bedroom (double bed) with windows on three sides and a lovely view of the moonrise over the water and the distant lighthouse. It also has a small but well-planned living room: at one end is a kitchenette and small eating
table (seats 4 maximum), at the other end, two, built-in, cot-sized bunk couches, one of which converts to a queen sized bed. There's a tiny pot-bellied woodstove to combat the chill of cold rainy days and large, south-facing windows that afford a nice view of the Sound and Gay Head.
The cosiest apartment (nicknamed "the honeymoon cottage"), it too, has a fenced deck with barbecue and table.

ALL OF THE UNITS are completely equipped: bed linens and blankets, dishes and cookware, gas grills, towels and mats, even a few toys, games, and books. I have small and large cribs, which can be set up if needed, and booster seats. Obviously I welcome small children, though I ask your cooperation in trying to minimize nighttime noise as far as possible, bearing in mind that people who come to
Cuttyhunk are usually seeking its unique peace and quiet. For the same reason I ask that if you must bring a radio, you tune it to a whisper. You will find the apartment as clean as I can make it; I ask you to leave it as clean as you find it, linens washed and replaced, unless you prefer to pay a $50.fee.

FERRY: RESERVE! call 508- 992-1432 between 8-9:45 AM

Summers 10 AM; 9 AM weekends; off season: Fri only 10 AM

CHARTER SEAPLANE during daylight hours: Reserve: 508- 997-4095

WATER TAXI during daylight hours 508-993-5754

FISHING GUIDES: Charlie Tilton 508-992-8181, George Isabel 508-992-7352,

Duane Lynch (beeper) 508-992 4351

NEW BEDFORD ACCOMMODATIONS: Whaler Days Inn (508) 997-1231.

Edgewater Bed & Breakfast (508) 997-5512. $40-65. Nice! (no small kids).

Ron Mackís B&B. He takes you to ferry, keeps your car. 508-990-1566.
Old 08-01-2000, 03:16 PM

Hi Terry,

I have done alot of fishing around Cuttyhunk out of a boat. There are huge bass in the area and we caught many albies near by. I think the biggest challenge would be "just getting there"......
I would be interested in any more info we can dig up........

John
Old 08-01-2000, 07:29 PM

Just got a message from the trip coordinator for Conn. Surfcasters. Turns out they don't stay at the B+B but rent a series of apartments like I listed above from another source. Funny thing the price is the same as I got from their competition: <b>$50 per man per night</b>. The outfit is "Petes Place Rentals". Well, food for thought and a great destination. We need to always keep our eyes open for places like this.

TerryW
Old 08-01-2000, 09:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Terry,sounds like a great spot. my issue is usually getting the time away. but that sounds so good , I'd be willing to call in an I O U, or two!
Old 08-01-2000, 09:46 PM

Terry -

First of all, we really appreciate your work on this topic. Apologies for the terse questions this morning, as you already know I have been too busy at the new job to keep up with the board so I've been making a better effort lately to check in for brief moments and breaks whenever possible. Unfortunately I only get to post a blurb in that mode.

That being said, I really think this might be a Boneclave candidate. Talk about class, and history... not to mention FISH.

$50 ain't chump change but it sure isn't prohibitive either. We should do a cost roll-up including ferry and food. If there are kitchen facilities, the food cost goes w-a-a-y down.

The only outstanding issue is transportation on the island. We should ask the lodge owners if we could arrange for shuttles to key points on the island. It certainly looks like an easy thing to arange, being such a small island.

Another idea I had is tenting on property out there for a much lower fee. If someone would be willing to let us camp for $10-15 per person, it could end up being much better for all parties. Not sure if anyone has that kind of real estate though.

If we do this like last year with lots of boats, the commute issues are non-existent. The criteria for lodging shifts toward those closest to the docks. This would be a somewhat liberating thing (availability of boat hosts I mean). The harbor certainly looks accomodating.

Terry - you started us off this spring with a bang, now you may have just come up with the premier locale for Boneclave 2000!

Please help Terry out with information gathering and ideas, maybe we could pull this off after all.

GREAT WORK schnauzer!

Juro
Old 08-02-2000, 08:27 AM

Juro,
No apologies needed, you were to the point.
My next thought on the subject is, well heck if we're going to an island, why not go to the Vineyard? Well,I get the impression that Cuttyhunk is less difficult than MV. Not necessarily cheaper, just less formidable. We steered away from MV because of logistics, crowds etc. Would Cutty solve that by being more accessable?
BTW, ferry trip from New Bedford is $24 round trip. Round trip to the Vineyard is $10 dohhh!

TerryW
Old 08-04-2000, 04:10 PM
Recent Member

Guys,

I've been there several times. Just a few comments.

First, the ferry is small, so if you are getting a large group together you may want to warn the ferry captain . You may be able to reserve the ferry in advance. As for accommodation, public camping is not allowed so it's either the B & B or find some property owner that will let you pitch tents in the back yard.

As for roads, there is a dirt/grass road that parallels the southern shore of the island and is quite walkable as long as you travel light. Unfortunately, as of a year or two ago, much of the road in the western half of the island is now on private property and posted No Trespassing. When I was there, it was off-season and no one was around, so we trespassed anyway. It takes about 40 minutes to walk the island end-to-end if you use the road. You'd better check with town fathers or guides about bikes, as they may restrict their use. Another option is to legally walk the beach below mean high tide mark, but it is tough going most of the way with big boulders and lots of loose cobble. The road is a lot easier. We also couldn't figure out how to access the north shore of the island without trespassing (except for the ponds area at the west end near Gosnold Monument). As for the No Trespassing part of the road, maybe you can get one of the locals to obtain permission for access.

Most of the beaches are very rocky with little sand and bouldery a fair distance off shore. You'll need Korkers to wade to deeper water safely. Now I know why they used bass stands; to get beyond those ankle-turning rocks! The beaches at the extreme east and west ends are a little less rocky and deeper water a little easier to access.

Because of the rugged nature of the beach, I would recommend boats for at least part of the Clave if you can get your hands on them.

-bd
Old 08-04-2000, 05:44 PM

Bill -

I am amazed at your range. I pride myself with nomadic fishing prowess but I found myself saying to Bob Pink the other day... "well, I'm no Bill Downing but I used to really get around...".

Thanks for your insight on Cutttyhunk and maybe you should write a book someday!

Juro
Old 08-04-2000, 06:09 PM

I'm waiting for a callback from the harbormaster on transient slip availability. That would help the boats for sure.

Terry
Old 08-05-2000, 07:17 AM
Recent Member

Juro,

The thought has crossed my mind . Maybe a good winter project in retirement.

There was a nice article in one of the fishing magazines about surf fishing Cuttyhunk, with specific locations noted on a map of the island. Unfortunately, they don't index their articles, but if I can find it, I'll let you know.

Other notes:

* Like Block Island, the 'hunk is loaded with deer. The usual precautions against deer ticks recommended.

* On the right tide, Cuttyhunk Harbor looks like it would be a productive place to fish, especially towards the mouth and the rips between the 'hunk and the neighboring island on the east side. Beach is mostly sandy here and the bottom drops off quickly.

* If you are interested in doing something other than fishing (perish the thought!), there are five or six old WWII fire control stations scattered around the top of the highest point on the island close to town (basically in-ground concrete observation posts with instrument columns, used to provide triangulation information to fixed big gun defenses in New Bedford and Little Compton). There are also 90 mm gun emplacements, also from WWII, on the north side of the island. The guns themselves are long gone.

Great place!

-bd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.