Southern VT- West Dover & Wilmington advice? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 PM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

Lightbulb Southern VT- West Dover & Wilmington advice?

So we're headed to West Dover, VT for a week of bumming about. It's been more than a few years that I've fished that area, so I'm not so sure what patterns and what areas are good places to fish.

We'll be within walking distance of the Northern Branch of the Deerfield River and can drive to Lake Whitingham as well as the West River along Route 30 (i think that's it- the one that goes from Brattleboro towards Manchester).

I'd love some advice on what patterns I might use as well as good general areas to try out. I don't think I can really go wrong with everything in the area, but I thought I'd ask around. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM

Mcurtiss,

Yes the West river is the river that runs from somewhere up by Manchester & ends at the Connecticut river in Brattleboro. Rt 30 is the highway

It has been eons it seems since I fished the Deerfield up that far. And don't ever recall fly fishing it above Whitingham so I cannot give you any advise as to what bugs may be around.
I'll bet a few streamers, Black nosed dace, Olive woolly bugger, maybe a caddis dry fly or maybe a stone fly nymph this time of year will get you some results.

I see people fishing all along the Deefield from where it crosses Rt 9 all the way to the reservoir. Where the river flattens out just before the reservoir seems to be a popular spot. We used to spin fish the section from rt 9 all the way up to the dam where the wooden caterpillar pipe starts back in the late 70's with some good results. Now a days I don't know what to expect.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

thanks for the reply. i've heard good things about the area where the deerfield meets reservoir as well. a flats of sorts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.