What to do with those who haven't a clue? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM

What to do with those who haven't a clue?

This morning Gino and I were fishing at Middlebridge and he had taken a few small fish. Suddenly an idiot come through the bridge and spots Gino with a fish. He decides that this is the spot to have his daughters catch one. He puts the boat up on the bar about 15 feet from Gino, motoring all the way and has one of the girls drop anchor in about 2 feet of water. The anchor doesn't hold so he motors back to try again. The anchor is again thrown out and still doesn't hold. At this point he now decides to leave and motors through the deep area where we were caticng fish. The end result, fish turned off and we cast to weeds for the next hour. Some ignorant jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Ron,

Did you explain the situation to him? There are a few people that are clueless but doesn't sound like that is the case here.

There isn't much you can do unless he jeopardized the safety of his daughters.
Try not to infuriate the situation it just spoils the experience with friends.

Venting helps like posting your experience more than you think. It will quickly go away and you'll always have this story to tell.

It happen to us today while boating. Sean and I were busting bass today very quietly. A few boats noticed, than the fleet started to grow to 12.

Now you get guys traveling in the fish lanes, trolling thru while everyone is drifting and people anchoring in the honey holes. You know the rest.

That's why I'm venting. It's the weekend. You expect the idiots. Nothing like fishing during the week.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStachelek
It's the weekend. You expect the idiots. Nothing like fishing during the week.
Never a truer word spoken!

I had it happen to me yesterday, while out on my kayak. After paddling 100 yards to some busting Mackerel, I was about to make my cast when I spotted a small boat pottering up behind me, this guy then goes round the back of me and then sets his drift so that he will move down in front of and onto my fish, and within range of my fly casting (I was only using a light 3/4# so distance was minimal), Talk about ignorant! Soon after, I had to leave the area as another 3 or 4 boats muscled me out of the way and it just wasn't worth the aggro.

I later found an area that was only accessable if you had a kayak, so I had the last laugh this time.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
This happens all the time in Chatham while fishing the edges of the flats during low tides. The clammers will run their boats straight at fisherman to force them to move, so they can anchor. It's happened enough that I know it's not someone who is clueless.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Piracy

Showing unusual restraint there Stevo. Last time that happened, it looked like I would have to physically restrain you from boarding the offending vessel with fly rod clenched between your teeth and eyes wide open and wild.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Squire animal

Mad

Yeah, but on that occasion the offending boat nearly capsized me as it bobbed about on the swell. He even tied up to the same buoy as me, so was never going to be more than a short rope length away. At least this guy kept 20 yards away!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by polareyez
The clammers will run their boats straight at fisherman to force them to move, so they can anchor. It's happened enough that I know it's not someone who is clueless.
Makes me think about tucking the old 44 Magnum into the Fish Pond pack so I can whip it out and use the famous line from Dirty Harry should they try that one with me...
Flydoc
Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
In moderation

I can't remember Clint Eastwood saying "bend over and say cheese"
Old 06-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Doc, I would turn tail faster if you had on a head mirror and snapped on some latex gloves.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Doc...I totally agree with Jamie....that snapping of the glove sound would make me run. re a clammer that ran over my line last year....after I asked him why he felt that he needed to do that he said "I am a professional fisherman"
At least now I know the reason.
Ron
PS: From now on, I'm packing a latex glove in my sling pack...thanks for the tip
Can you teach me how to do the 'snap" the right way?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Next time a boat hassles you like that.
Wait until they get a fish on.
Paddle to the stern of the boat.
Pull the drain plug.
Hold high in the air.
Throw plug into water.
Optional - when you return to dry land, put a hatch mark on the deck.

I used to voice my objections to the offending party but it was no use, now I just move to the next spot.

Sometimes when we gather a fleet I'll mess with them, they see we're on the fish and move in. We'll get all animated and yell over there, look at that, pointing in some random direction. I'll start up the engine and race over in that direction and then kill the engine and just stare at the other boat(s) when they stop next to me - they usually get the idea after that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.