ATV's on the Dean - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM

ATV's on the Dean

I recently saw an advertisement for a fishing camp on the lower Dean. One of the camp's inducements was the use of ATV's so that their anglers could transport themselves to the pools above the falls.

Has anyone run into (or been run into by) any of these anglers or is this something new this season? I'm appalled by the whole concept -- but maybe it's no worse than my dropping into Giants via the whirlybird.

Anyway, curious to read what others think of this situation.

Cheers,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Nakia lodge has been using atvs on the dean for years. T hey sold his lodge to the people advertising it. I would rather them using quads that jet boats.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Some history of use...

They had been using the three wheelers for several years when I made my first trip in 1986. I haven't been back in the last ten or so years but it was a great place to camp and fish back then. Some of the fellows would be there all season as there were no restrictions until my second or third trip in I never stayed loner than ten days even when it was allowed.
We landed float planes right on the Victoria Run and camped in first class style lawn chairs and ice for the Gin & Tonics!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:11 PM

It's funny, really, how the most treasured angling spots on the globe, supposedly in the wildest of the wilderness, attract noisy crowds.

I haven't been to the Dean in about 10 years. Before that, I was a semi-regular, being on the banks for my allotted eight days, for some six seasons running. During that time, we camped from Raccoon (downstream) to Giants (upstream) and floated the river a couple of times, camping at various spots along the way.

The Dean then was a busy place. We were spotted by helicopter into all our camps, and the chopper was a daily site as the pilot flew in and flew out the parties camping upstream and downstream from us. We had our "home" pool pretty much to ourselves, except when floaters came through and stopped to fish or the lodge jet sleds went by. It was good water and held fish, but if you wanted variety, it was hard to find as it was more than likely that the pool just upstream or just downstream was occupied.

The farther down river we went, the more activity: float planes going in and out; monstrous permanent camps; more jet sleds. Etc. Nevertheless, we coped and fitted in -- I'd go back in a heartbeat.

The same thing happens on the Karluk, although there it seemed to me much worse and I'd never go back. We were on guided trip at a spot called Portage -- a quick spot in an otherwise slough-like river, that held steelhead. At the time, there were three forest service cabins, all occupied by avid anglers, and a couple of tent sites for floaters. The lodge across the isthmus to the east sent eight anglers daily to the spot via a huge ATV. Helicopters brought in others from God knows where. Everybody tried to fish the same quarter-mile of river. Wildnerness combat fishing at it's worst.

ATV's and motorized access are here to stay and will be found at the meccas of known angling. If I don't like it, I should find another place to fish.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah it certainly is busy I have a video that I shot that has three jet boats two airplanes and a chopper all operating at the same time. I too was impressed with the seemingly lack of wilderness that roared up from time to time. As you may have noticed as soon as the boats pass and the flying machines dissappear its back to the wilderness again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.