So Many Tapers - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
So Many Tapers

There are so many fly line tapers on the market today. There are rocket, triangular, several weight forwards, nymph lines, tinnie shooting heads, sink tips, full sinks, intermediates, etc, etc, not to mention lines specially made to catch bonefish or tarpon, or little tunny, or stripers.

I was just looking for an 8 weight forward floater, and a 9 double taper floating. Cortland still makes both....so I bought them. I got 40% off both because it seems that both lines were a bit out of style, or at least didn't come in a fancy wrapper guarantee a specific species......

Am I out of touch, or did I just save a lot of money????
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 04:05 PM

Howie
Rio and SA make "Nymph" lines which will make ideal lines for roll casting with a single handed rod .Both have nice forward tapers .
CND has also introduced a new double taper line for 2 handers .
I also once tried a 6/7 XLT line on a 9wt single handed rod for roll/Spey single handed work.
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Pullin' Thread

You just saved yourself some money.

Although I like longer-belly lines for both 2-hand and single-hand rods, it is not necessary to have one to fish effectively. There is nothing wrong with the "old fashioned, time tested" standard WF and DT line designs. They still cast fine and are good fishing tools.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Are their longer belly lines than a standard double taper? The entire line on a standard DT is the belly, with only the ends being tapered. In the past, the DT was the line of choice for Salmon fishing. Only recently have I used a WF......but these lines were designed to shoot casts after stripping in the fly. The DT actually is better for picking up a given amount of line and laying it out again. Also the DTs should be better for line control as in mending.......

Anyway, both lines, after the discount were $23 each. So both together still cost less than the "designer" lines...... I would love the opportunity to test the various lines and compare them to each other. But until that time, I may as well just save some money.....
Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Pullin' Thread

The DT line has the longest "belly" of all lines since it is all but the front 10' and rear 10' of taper. However, lines like the salmon/steelhead taper WF specialty lines has belly/backtapers of 65', which means for most situations they behave like a DT, but because they are still a WF line (granted a very long bellied WF line) once the 65' belly is near the rod tip, all you are shooting is the fine, thin diameter running line like on a DT. There are other longer belly WF lines on there too, but I'll let you research them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.