TFO 8#/2-hand extention - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 12:55 PM

TFO 8#/2-hand extention

Just curious if any out there has one and what lines they are using on it. Got one and lined it with Airflo 40+ 8wt, Intermediate for 2 handing and it seems to be a little light to load the rod but it may be me and just not used to feel of rod. Have 8# Cold Water Striper line for 1-handing, new ridge running line and it is a cannon. Looking for advise on 2 hand line. Thanks

Pete
PopnesetBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

Same rod different w/extention handle.

Hey pete I can't for the life of me think of any reason why it should not cast the same in the single or 2 hand configuration. The rod blank stays the same so it should load the same, it might be your casting stroke changes when you are throwing it as a 2hander.One thing I have noticed when people cast a 2hander who are used to the single hander, they tend to put to much arc in their casting stroke, the back cast must have a real crisp stop around 1:00 o'clock and allowed to drift back abit with the weight of the line as it loads the forward cast should be followed with a tug with the bottom hand,the top hand basicly goes along to steady the rod on the forward extension.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM
LBFF Mojo

Great advice Paul. Defintely a big problem with 2 hander guys out there.

That said those new extensions from TFO have a way beefier butt than the single hand counter part. Guys are going up a couple line weights at least to get the load on the rod. Try a 10 weight line if you have it. It may just be the ticket.

-sean
Old 05-29-2007, 08:24 PM

TFO/2 hand ext

Thanks guys. Sean, you are right, the butt and second piece for the 2 hand use are really stiff. I went with what I was originally told that TFO recommended but when I get back to cape , June 7-11 I am going to try my 9wt Outbound and see if that is too much. I think it is still too new on market for many to get a handle on what will and won't work. Thanks, Paul, for the casting motion comment...I'll betcha that is what makes some of my cast "go to hell in a basket". Seem like when I go bad, if I stop, smoke a cigarette ( Iknow-I know) and go back the casting problems have gone away. I work into bad strokes and it takes a break to get back into sinc. It ain't easy teaching a 70 yr old new tricks!!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM

I'm confused.

Sean the extensions on these rods are they the 2hand handle with a different lower rod section? If so I now see why they would load different, they are basicly a different rod, I was thinking they were just a handle extension at the butt.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 PM
LBFF Mojo

No it is a whole different bottom section. You switch out the existing butt section and plug this one in. I thought the same at first as well which is why I scoffed at the $150 price tag but now seeing that it is a whole different butt section I see why.

Kinda cool I guess to have an 8 and a 10 weight rod at your disposal just by switching the butts.

-sean
Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 AM

TFO 8#/Ext.

Sean, I thought the price was hi also until I got a look at it. It really changes the feel of the rod. I have only had a chance to "play" with it for a couple of hours, all 2 handed, but so far I am impressed. Start out with one hander, carry tube with extentions and spare spool. If you want to switch to 2 handing the one hand butt fits in the tube when you switch and you're off and gunning! Gotta play with some lines to figure out which will work for my "poor" casting stroke!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:15 AM
loco alto!

tried this rod once, reps rod ... lined with an Outbound 13 wt. It did feel a little heavy for my tastes, but developed great line speed and sent it out with the most gentle stroke imaginable. During the same test casting, some newbies to 2 hand rods didn't find it nearly as overloaded as I did, they appreciated the easy feel of the load. Kinda depends on what you like.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 PM

heavy feel.

When I first started out with the 2 hander I also appreciated the heavy feeling of a rod loading,as my experence increased and my technique improved I find I like the lighter feel and rely more on timing than feel.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 AM

Talking LINES FOR ROD

I CALLED TFO, AND THEY RECOMMENDED RIO OUTBOUND LINES FROM 425-530 GR FOR THE ROD. THE CONVERSION SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT WAY TO GO. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS ROD, COULD IT BE USED FOR STEELHEAD, OR FOR SPEY FISHING. THANKS JOHN
Old 06-02-2007, 05:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Pete, I developed that rod for TFO from start to finish. You need to overline by at least two line-weights for two-handed casting. This is true of any switch type rod.

The reason is that line designations for one-handed casting assume that you are using a strong double haul to help load the rod. When you eliminate the double haul, you need more grain weight to load the rod. I thought this was crazy until I had a long talk with Meiser about this several years ago, in which he confirmed my thinking on this.

Ed Jaworowski loves the 8-weight conversion with a 12-weight Outbound. I think I prefer the 11-weight floating line.

I am in Yarmouth on the Cape if you would like any free help getting started with the rod.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 PM

Help with TFO

Thanks Jay. I got your number and will try to set something up when you are around and available. I got both the Rio Outbound 9wt Floater and the 11wt Inter and Sink and will try them when I get down to Mashpee this coming weekend. I know you were deeply involved in that rods development but, unfortunately listened to an "informed source" and got the Airflo 40+ Beach line in 8wt. I am not a strong enough 2 handed caster, yet, to fully load the rod with that line and you sure cannot have much, if any, running line out the tip when you make the final fwd cast! Thanks again for the offer!
Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.