Fly Fishing Forum banner

mending line

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I can see the importance of mending the line when fishing dry flies with a floater. What about when fishing nymphs or streamers with a sinking tip? is it equally important to mend or is drag not that big of issue in this case?
thanks

#2 ·
Purpose of the sink tip is to get the fly down where the fish are and then present it in a natural basis......dead drift. Running line is a floater for mending. Same principal as using split shot but for deeper holes and strong current.

Phil

#3 ·
Absolutely important -

It controls speed of the fly, as well as path of the fly as it tracks thru the run, as well as depth.

In fisheries where these matter, virtually all, then it is an important thing to incorporate with a sinking tip.

A big belly whips the fly thru the pool when the current catches it. For some species this is not good, others its the secret sauce. Mend up for one, down for the other.

If a the line is in the wrong current seam the fly will wander out of the soft spot where a migrating fish is likely to lie and run the faster power water. For some species this is good, for others it's bad. Mend accordingly.

Placement of the cast and mending down to the swing (for instance to eliminate current drag i.e. dead drift) determines the depth the tip can penetrate. Mending is a great way to eliminate drag as well as influence the swing.

I also will alternatively tighten and feed line into a long swing, which is effectively a slack mend, to reposition a fly when fish are sitting in current and I want to cover it with the cast I already made.

All that being said, there is nothing sweeter than a current that puts a mend into the line for me, hangs the fly just right, and is the speed where the fly swims at the perfect depth when I do nothing at all. However such spots are rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.