Adding insult to injury! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
CantAnchorUs

Adding insult to injury!

Narragansett Bay is a wasteland, there are just no fish. I've fished hard for the last 3 weeks and I haven't caught what I should be getting in a single day! Theories abound but none can meet the empirical criteria for being right. If I hear one more person say it's still early or that the waters still cold, I'm gonna puke! It's May 13 for Gods sake and the waters 60*. I've heard it blamed on algae blooms but that's not algae merely pollen from trees and bushes in windrows as usual in the spring. The most reasonable one I've heard is that the fish are feasting on squid in the lower bay and have no need to move in. Buzzards Bay is full of bass, Chatham has fish, Cape Cod Bay even is lighting up and theres fish in Boston. Why is the bay being bypassed? Where is the yearly influx of silversides that stage up before moving into the estuaries to spawn? I've yet to see a single silverside. The upper bay is wall to wall pogies and there are no fish eating them.

And on top of that, while crossing a wake today my trusty digital cam took one bounce off of the console, did a graceful one and a half gaynor off the railing and now resides in Davey Jones locker! Now I'm really pissed!!!
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 11:45 PM
LBFF Mojo

Not to rub salt in the wounds but...

I do not know much about fishing the open bay but the warren and barrington system have started to come into form over the last couple days. The silversides are *finally* in and a good amount of stripers splashing around chasing them.

Took a recon paddle down from the barrington bridge to adams point on the outgoing last night and probably landed a dozen fish with the largest about 24 inches. Still nothing large though chasing down the huge schools of pogies but plenty of schoolies about. Also stopped at the warren bridge to see what was happening and it was wall to wall schoolies in the current so there are some fresh fish to be found.

Did not see any of the large spawning silversides though and the fish were on really small ones. Nothing over a 1 1/2" rays fly brought any fish to hand.

It has been slow coming though for some reason. Last year at this time you could walk across the feeding stripers in the barrington. While there are decent numbers now it is nowhere like last year at this time. I will also say my side of the bay has been unusually dirty. Visibility maybe a foot or two. The barrington beach looks like sewage water. Nasty.

I am hoping the new moon this week brings in the big girls, those pogies have gone unmolested long enough! Sorry to hear about the camera but you know that means a keeper is yours any day now. It only happens when the camera is no where to be found...

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Not to rub salt in the wounds but...

IDid not see any of the large spawning silversides though and the fish were on really small ones. Nothing over a 1 1/2" rays fly brought any fish to hand. ...-sean
Thosse small "silversides" might be herring from the early spawn this year, the timing is about right for the size. I haven't seen any silversides either nor have I seen the striped killifish that are normally spawning at this time of year, so it might be that things are later than usual. I still haven't seen any lion's amne jellyfish either in the areas where I generally see them now. As a side note- I have a large wild cherry tree in my yard and when it blooms in the spring you can hear the humming from all the bees- but not this year- the blooms are going and not a bee have I heard. Just an interesting observation because the Bay usually busts wide open when this tree begins to "sing". Ron
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM
LBFF Mojo

Definitely silversides. Never leave home without a long handled bait net

-sean
Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Hey Steve Heh!
I think your water is too salty!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 AM
LBFF Mojo

Definitely here now. Last night had my largest fish of the season and a bunch around 26. I bet your next trip will give you a sore arm and a case of striper thumb...

Just around 30" and good fun on a 7wt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bass.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	6412  
Old 05-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Winds were honking today. Whitecaps in the upper bay.
Blew @ 35 mph.
The day was respectable for clients. Had to go up the Barrington River into the estuaries just to get out of the wind and catch some smalls.

Still a lot of brown algae and colored water.
Fishing is way off for this time of year.
Gotta believe Slinger.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by rel1
As a side note- I have a large wild cherry tree in my yard and when it blooms in the spring you can hear the humming from all the bees- but not this year- the blooms are going and not a bee have I heard. Just an interesting observation because the Bay usually busts wide open when this tree begins to "sing". Ron
If you do some poking around on the net you'll find that bee populations this year are WAY down for some reason that scientists can't figure out.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hard to hear yourself think last night with all the fish feeding. Yep, they definitely are not here

-sean
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Hard to hear yourself think last night with all the fish feeding. Yep, they definitely are not here

-sean
Figures, Slinger went to the canal area last night. That really "adds insult to injury"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.