Tie your owned taper leaders - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Exclamation Tie your owned taper leaders

After spending a lot of money on leaders. I decided to do some research to see if you could tie your own tapered leaders. I found a few kits out on the market. One is by umpqua and another is by frog hair. If you dont want to buy a kit, I found out that you can buy spool's of tippet material. In a kit they include the size's .004,.005, .006, .007, .008, .009, .010, .011, .013, .015, .016, .017, .019 , and .021 .
Why tie my own tapered leaders
* Hand tied leaders cost pennies on the inch compared to factory made leaders costing up to $3.50 and more.
* The flexibility to tailor your own leaders to specific fly fishing conditions.
* The advantage of creating your own tapered leader to match your own style of fly fishing, the way you cast, the type of flies you throw and water conditions versus being stuck with a commercially made leader.
* Its much easier and quicker to change and re-tie a new hand-tied leader when the local fishing conditions change.
* You will get great satisfaction knowing you had direct input on how your fly was presented into fooling your catch just like catching your first fish on your very own hand-tied fly.

What are the sections of a fly fishing leader?
* Butt One of the most important sections of the tapered leader formula as it begins the transfer of energy from the fly line to the leader material.
* Body - This section contains smaller diameter lines and starts to relieve the energy from the fly line, but at the same time keeping control of the fly for proper presentation.
* Tippet Again the smallest diameters of your tapered leader setup down to the lowest breaking strength you are trying to achieve. There are a many specialty tippets from wire leaders for toothy fish to strong shock tippets for hard hitting fish.
What knots to use.

Correct me if I am wrong but these three knots are the most usefull. A blood knot(The blood knot is not recommended if there is more than .002" difference bettwen the sections of tippet material), a Double surgeon knot , and a uni knot.
Where do I find fly fishing leader forumals?
If you google LeaderCalc ( it comes in PDF and excel format) or you can send me a private message and will give you the link. LeaderCalc will cover any type of fly leader you may want. It even includes a few salt water.

I hope this post is helpful to you guys. If you have any questions please post them and I will answer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logy
* Its much easier and quicker to change and re-tie a new hand-tied leader when the local fishing conditions change.
Why is it easier to change a knotted tapered leader than a knotless one?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescaphile
Why is it easier to change a knotted tapered leader than a knotless one?
I dunno how you connect your leader to your fly line (nail knot, perfection loop, or whatever). If you use a perfection loop you can change leaders super fast. But you can also tie that knot onto a knotless.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

I hate to say this because it is so obvious, but what do you think we did back before factory made knotless tapered leaders hit the market and became commonplace? I learned how to tie my own tapered leaders way back in the very early 60's from my father because there weren't any factory made knotless tapered ones available.

And like Pescaphile, I don't see how connecting a knotted tapered leader to a fly line is any faster or easier than connecting a knotless tapered one. Most of us who have been around fly fishing for many years have been nail knotting a short, heavy butt section (of between 6" to 1') to our fly lines with a loop on the end to which we attach our leaders with another loop. Once you tie a loop (whethter perfection knot, double surgeons, or any of the other loop knots you can use) to your leader butt, it takes no more time to replace a hand-tied, knotted tapered leader or a factory made knotless tapered leader. However, it does take a lot more time to tie the knotted tapered leader than to simply take a factory made knotless tapered one out of the package.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Sir, I just posted this to help some beginners out. I thought it would be nice so if any of them wanted to learn how to do this they wouldnt have to spend hours searching google. Also it is just opinion with me thinking it is faster this way. This way now I dont have to get in my car drive 30 minutes to find only a crappy selection of leaders.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:27 PM

as a begginer fly fisherman I dont like hand tied leaders. They are a bit tricky to unroll in a smooth way as they stretch right before they hit the water (for me at least).

If youre fishing a place with lots of weeds or algae (dont remeber how you say it in english), you might not only collect threads of algae in your hook but also in your blood knots.

in relation to quality, it all depends. If youre gonna build leaders from regular crappy nylon, youll have crappy hand tied leaders. And if you buy a top brand leader, itll be good.

in my case, making my leaders rather bores me. And even though Im a cheapskate, Id rather buy them, a good one is not that expensive and its a lot quicker. But I do think it might be important for a beginner to learn how to make hand tied leaders in the following way: it helps you "reconstruct" comercial leaders when youre out fishing. That is, if you lose a couple of feet off your leader do to snags or changing too many flies, tying a couple of blood knots and a surgeon knot comes in handy to quickly build your leader back.

cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.