Fishing opportunities on the MSW Miramichi - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 AM

Fishing opportunities on the MSW Miramichi

There’s no way of getting around it, the following message runs very close to an endorsement. I’d like to think that it’s more of a discussion of a great concept than a promo for a particular business enterprise. To the Moderators, please remove this post if you feel that it has crossed the line.

A few years ago, I was enjoying the afternoon sun on the Main SW Miramichi at the Old River Lodge in Blissfield. I was talking with our host, Alex Mills, about the advantages and downsides of fishing the river in the ‘traditional way.’ By this, I meant that ‘Sports’ booked into a particular Lodge and fished its pools – mostly or exclusively – for the duration of their trip. There are many advantages to fishing this way, and there are many excellent outfitting operations that provide this service all through the Miramichi system. However, we felt that one downside to this style of fishing (to the more adventurous angler, at least) was that anglers were ‘trapped’ on a relatively small portion of the river system. The fishing would not necessarily be better anywhere else, but some of us would like to see more of this gigantic and beautiful watershed than is accessed by any single operation.

We talked about a ‘floating lodge’ concept where water from all over the Main SW and tributaries would be available to anglers during a single trip. Sports would have an opportunity to try different regions of the river and could customize their trip to an extent that was difficult to do under the traditional fishing paradigm.

Each region of the Miramichi watershed has its own ‘feel.’ There are Sports that fish, say Doaktown, and have never tried the river at Blackville or Boiestown. We felt that the floating lodge concept would be an opportunity for local outfitters to show off their water to more anglers and for anglers to ‘sample’ a wide variety of great pools from all over the system. It seemed like it would be a great arrangement for both the local fishing businesses and for adventurous anglers.

In short, this concept is coming to the Main SW Miramichi. The business (I think it’s a business) is called the Atlantic Salmon Access Point. They have a website, but I fear that posting the address here would be too close to making an explicit endorsement. If the Moderators will permit (let me know), I’ll post their web address. In the meantime, you’ll have to find it yourself!

The website still is being fleshed out, but it’s well organized, quite comprehensive and very ambitious in its approach. They advertise that they can gain access to pools along the Main SW Miramichi from Quarryville to Boiestown. The pools have differing arrangements as to fishing hours, catch limits and guiding requirements – presumably set by the local fishing rights owner. There are some very experienced and credible local Lodges and guides shown as being affiliated with the operation. At first glance, they offer access to a very good run of the river – and there are some winner pools in the mix!

This posting is in no way meant to discourage anglers from patronizing the many fine outfitting operations that currently do business in the watershed. But, for those anglers who want to customize their Miramichi angling experiences, or want to try some ‘new spots’ on this impressive river, you might find the ASAP website to be of interest.

Jim Corrigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Details of promotion on this website are simple - become a sponsor and you can promote your business for the year.

If you would like to help them get explicit exposure, contact them about a forum sponsorship.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not another venture of Alex Mills?
I presume the other lodges are offering their water when it is not prime time?...
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Alex Mills is one of the people working with ASAP and I think that several other folks are involved. It was Alex that explained the concept to me several years ago, so I'd guess he has a fair amount to do with this new operation.

I can't imagine that any Lodge would cancel their regular clients to accomodate ASAP business. So, I think that ASAP works around the edges of the regular bookings at the Lodges. This being said, several Lodge owners have told me that they often have open water during good times of the season.

It seems to me that the Lodges might hope to use ASAP to fill smaller gaps in their pool reservations. As such, an angler might well get on the water 'in prime time,' but not necessarily get a week on the same set of pools.

From my point of view, this is the beauty of the idea. Anglers would get to move around and fish some different places in the watershed.

It will be interesting to see how the pool availabilities will flesh out over the season. It's a new enterprise, so there may be some growing pains. All the same, I think it's a great idea and I wish them the best.

Jim Corrigan
Old 05-16-2007, 08:30 AM

I am one of the developers of the site mentioned above. (and Atlantic Salmon chaser for over 30 yrs) and can say that it is a different approach to the normal process on the Miramichi system. We will be providing a service to the angler as well as the outfitter.

The angler will have an opportunity to purchase a days fishing on uncrowded water from a variety of stretches along the river. This allows you to match your available days to current local conditions. Check available dates/pools, book today and fish tomorrow.

The outfitter can offer available dates on their calendar as well as book water in another area to offer more variety to their clients.

We expect a few growing pains, it is only natural, but have a great group involved to hopefully get the bugs worked out quickly.

I will not say more as we will be looking into sponsorship here and don't want to foul hook the boss on the first cast. Juro, will pass along the "Details of promotion..." as stated above.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.