Fly Fishing Forum banner

Icy Bay, Alaska - Silvers

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Herry 
#1 ·
Anyone here ever fished the Silvers in Icy Bay in September? I'm going there this fall and am anticipating alot of fun. But thought I'd check with the group here to see if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the place.

Thanks in advance!

#3 · (Edited)
I was told both. Wading tidal flats in water up to knee deep and also the river dumping into it. Well that's assuming I understand your question and the term "saltchuck". lol. They said wading the tidal flats was similar to bonefishing; sight fishing. But we can go up the river and swing flies to them like steelhead, too. All reports are that they catch a lot of fish at this lodge during that time period.

#4 ·
I have fished out in the Ocean several miles offshore of there the fish schools are huge. The Gulf is too dangerous!
That flat like fishing is pretty Kool try some wogs and a dryline they explode on the surface from time to time. When I lived in Sitka I fished several places that had a similar situation and it was great sport wading and sighting and casting and catching. Good Luck I think I am envious already!:hihi:
Seriously you are going to be in a very rare place you will no doubt enjoy the fishing but Icy Bay is about so much more you will be spun by the immenseness of the place.

#6 ·
Just an update for anyone interested:

The trip to Icy Bay was awesome. Landed over 40 Silvers between 8 and 15 pounds in 5 days of fishing and had an incredible time

The Icy Bay area is truly unique and as scenic as any place I've been. The accommodations were not fancy but were comfortable. Am I allowed to mention the lodge/outfitter where we stayed if they aren't a sponsor here? I'm happy to provide recommendations to anyone interested if it's kosher on this forum.

Have been trying to attach a picture but it fails to upload even after I've resized it to the proper size. Not sure what's up with that, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to post one or two for you.

Best of fishing to you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.