Salt water 8 wt reel opinion - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to Herry
Salt water 8 wt reel opinion

I use a Sage 8100-4 XP with a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 for Steelhead in Idaho. This fall I'm going to Icy Bay, Alaska for the Silver run. Most of the silver fishing will be done in the flats in salt water and I'm thinking that I need a new reel more suited to salt water. I've also experienced a bit of slippage on my Litespeed drag when it gets wet and think I need a new 8 wt reel, regardless.

Can you guys give me opinions as to alternatives? I've been told the Ross Evolution was the way to go but I saw a few posts here last night that indicated it wasn't a good salt water reel. I have read alot of the comments about Danielson also.

I love Sage rods and have a 3200 reel for my 5wt. How do Sage reels hold up to salt water and hard running silvers? If I went with a Sage, is the 3400D the only way to go or would the new 2580 be acceptable?

I'm open to all brands, though.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's an easy one...

Danielsson Evotec 6nine for silvers, 8eleven for kings.

Sponsor:

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/en/start.php

Or pay twice as much and get the Tibors, Abels, etc.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 AM

The Sage D series reels are kosher for the salt. They should have plenty of drag for what you want to do.

If you are looking in that price range already, might as well go all the way and pick up the best - Tibor Everglades.

Bauer McKenzie superlight is a proven SW performer if you're looking for something with a more reasonable price tag.

There have been a lot of posts on this subject already - it might benefit you to do a search and see what others have already had to say...
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM

I don't see any reference to the Evotec there but I do see the LW 6nine. Is this the reel you are referring to for Silvers? That is in their Light Weight product line.

Can you or anyone describe for me the basic pros and cons between the LW 6nine and the HD 7ten?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 PM

I own both... the 7ten is better if you plan on dropping it on concrete a lot or predict a nuclear halocaust while on the trip. I use the 6nine from everything to 7wt thru 9wt and have landed 40" plus stripers on it (using 50# gelspun backing).

I have a lot of experience with pacific northwest silvers and it's more than enough and it will become your #1 bonefish reel for the Bahamas as well as a very reliable striper reel for the northeast.

All with no SW maintenance concerns at half the cost of the big names.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Abels and Tibors are great reels and cost a lot of money. As good, without the price tag are Old Florida and Danielsson. The Danielsson must have just about the smoothest drag I can think of and are starting to replace my Sage reels.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Upon the recommendation of Juro & others here, I just bought my First Danielsson , a LW 8/eleven for my 9wt. I have yet to catch a fish with it( the next few weeks will fix that) but it sure is a sweet looking reel that is well made. The drag is smooth as silk.
The Orvis Mach series is a good reel in my opinion, I have one on my 10 wt & have hooked into a few stripers & some big blues with it. Drag works well & is smooth

For the price & quality I would look real hard at the Danielsons. Several people here on the Forum use them & rave about how good they are. I am also contemplating a HD to team up with a Two hander rod in the near future
Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 AM

I'm also in the market for an 8wt reel might get the Nautilus from Old Florida also a sponsor. I like the Tibor backcountry wide and the Albe non ported reel . Tough choices. My top pick would be the Tibor Everglades. Lots of choices. FishHawk
Old 05-09-2007, 05:17 AM

Just a clarification -

Old Florida is a past sponsor, Daniellson is current. Most sponsors are expired (yearly) due to our need to manage sponsorships.

We are looking for a volunteer to manage sponsorships, contact me offline if anone can put some time in on this, e.g. the rest of 2007.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:00 AM
In moderation

The reel I prefer for my 8wt rod is a Van Staal C-Vex 78.
It has a beautiful sealed drag and is perfect for bonefish.

Pete
Old 05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
All of the reels mentioned above are wonderful. Although, IMHO, if you are just going there for a vacation (not moving there to fish everyday), you'll be fine with what you have, just rinse it everyday. As a tackle whore myself I know the feeling of being faced with the prospects of finding a reason to buy more gear.

So blow the kids college fund and buy a Super 8, even get some sweet graphics to match your XP, and a spare spool for a sinking line.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:10 AM

thanks for the info guys.

jamey, that' pretty funny. i probably am looking for an excuse to buy a new reel. the lamson customer service people assure me the other day that my litespeed 3.5 is suited well for salt water. i've got a couple months to decide.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM

I went through 3 lamsons in one season due to rust a few year ago. All maintenance was done by the book. Water infiltrated the O ring and as a result the spindle would rust and not function properly with the "sealed" conical drag system. Sometimes it would free spool, engage drag in both directions, or just lock up entirely. Not what I would consider a SW-safe reel.

More concerning is the fact that the spools on some models are not constructed from one piece of aluminum. 4 years ago I had a 38" bass take a strong run against a fairly heavy drag and the spool separated right down the middle in an explosion of orange dacron. Luckily the fish was about spent and I was able to hand line it in. That was the last straw for me - no more lamsons or other "sealed" drags with plastic moving parts.

As Jamey mentioned there is no reason to break the bank if you are a casual fisherman. If you are going to be putting in your time, better to make the initial investment and never have to worry about it again.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 AM

The current drag design is prone to failure as Dave explained perfectly. That reminds me I have two to send back that are completely corroded.

I heard from a soon-to-be sponsor that Lamson is redesigning a SW reel. I asked that they contact the Forum for input. I hope they do!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM

For the price & quality I would look real hard at the Danielsons

Danielsson reels are best regardless of the price…….

The reels like Tibor or Abel are sold to dealers at 40-50% discount.
Danielsson goes directly from factory to customers.
The price we pay for Danielsson LW or HD is the same dealers pay for Tibor or Abel......

When Danielsson was marketed by Loop ( prior to 2004) the retial price range was $ 600-800!!!, in line with Tibor.

The specially fabricated multi-plate ( graphite/steel/graphite/Steel) drag system, is 100% sealed and uses materials similar to those used in a race car/ mountain bike drag. The Danielsson drag is maintenance free for live, no need to wash it every evening with fresh water, remember to put oil on the cork etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.