8wt for panfish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM

8wt for panfish?

can you use a 8wt for panfish? I wanna get one for the steelhead around here and wondered if you can still use it for summer fishing?
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 04:35 AM

In a word, yes. I have caught many pan fish while bass fishing on a 7Wt. Not nearly as fun as using a 4wt as the little sunnies are not much load for a 8wt.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Fly chucker

I agree with Warren. It can be done, but there's not much sport in it.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Satisfied

I agree that you could do it.

You will miss a lot of strikes from small panfish on an 8wt. You could also end up ripping the lips clear off on of those little guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 01:22 PM

ok i just wondered because you need a 8wt for the huge steelhead around here so i got to get that weight. but i do got a cheap martin combo in a 6 wt. i will use that instead. just sux caudse the fly line looks like a lil piece is chewed up a lil and has a good nick in it about 20 feet down the fly line. oh well i paid 20 bux for it lol. i can always buy some new cheap fly line for it. so if a 7 is ok for bass will a 8wt work for the smallmouth and largemouth too or do I just get that one for steelhead??
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Your 8Wt will be just fine for either species of bass as well as those Steelies. I use either the 7wt or an 8wt for bass. The 8 wt will the proper leader will turn over heavy or bulky flies better than a lighter rod i.e. your six wt. However a six wt rod will land a bass just fine. But if you hook into a lunker you will certainly appreciate the extra backbone an 8 wt has.

If you have a 6wt & a 8wt you should be pretty well set for most inland fishing & even some big lake or light salt water fishing. If someday in the future you want to and can afford the extra cash, buy a 4 wt for stream trout & panfish. It is hard to beat spending an afternoon catching sunnies on a light fly rod with poppers and drinking beer
Old 05-10-2007, 10:18 PM

i suk i guess. I didn't catch nothing on my 6wt fly rod. i used a beetle and grasshopper. my buddy used a worm and didn't catch nothing either so i didn't feel to bad. later in the day we used bobbers and worms and my buddy caught a 3 or 4 pound cat and i caught 2 bluegills right before dark. always next time i guess! I need to prove to my cousins that a fly rod really works. they seem to give up on it after a lil while because they got no bites.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 PM

after driving myself insane i couldn't bring myself to spend 190 bux so i instead opted for the $99 cabela's brand rod/reel combo in a 8wt size. it comes with line leader backing and a large arbor reel with disc drag with a cork washer. also comes with a rod and reel case and a video on how to fly fish.
I know name brands are the so called best around and i should of prolly saved up for one instead but I figured if this can last me a year or 2 I can get a great rod if I get better at fly fishing. so anyone try one of these poles? the reviews are good and the one review that sold me was the one where the guy says he fishes for atlantic salmon and catches 20+ pounders and they run 100 yards and his rod/ reel held up great. well hope it works good enough for me and at least a season of steelie fishing! might use it for bass and blue gill even tho they are over powered by it. i still got my $20 martin 6 wt i can use for the blues. just scared to hook into something big with it. it doesn't have any drag system but your palm!!! here is the website and the combo. hell if the combo doesn't work i got a rod and reel bag at least lol.

[non-sponsor link removed]

Last edited by Dble Haul; 05-15-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2007, 11:50 PM

got my combo in the mail today! looks awesome! nice looking combo with a nice hard case and sock and free dvd on fly fishing. all in all looks like a good deal. seems pretty lightweight also. i figured a 8wt would be really heavy. plus it comes with a pretty nice looking large arbor reel! . one plus is that it didn't come all strung up already. it was all seperate.that means i get to practice my knots! i just tied a new leader on my 20 dollar combo using a nail knot with a straw. just a little difficult at first but only cause my finger would cramp up a lil. finally got it i think! now i get to try the arbor knot and the albright and another nail knot! i've already got the improved clinch down so i am good there. can't wait to try her out!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.