Bone mistakes. - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 AM

Bonehead mistakes.

We all know what we do good but what do you not do good?
Sometimes the mistakes we make are obvious at the time but also easy to forget.
What mistakes do you make when bonefishing that we could learn from?

I am not a great caster but it can get worse when I see a nice fish as I tend to speed up.

The part I like the most about bonefishing is the site fishing. Finding the fish and casting to it. That said, when I am fishing with a guide and he sees a fish, and gives me the direction and distance, I still hesitate to cast till I have seen the fish. Sometimes the fish will be gone and my fly is not in the water.

I have learned to strip strike after so many years of using the rod to set the hook but sometimes I still find my self strip striking then raising the rod even when the hook is not set.

Last edited by Swalt; 05-07-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
In moderation

I think the most import thing you need when bonefishing is an over the top positive mental attitude. You have got to believe that you can catch absolutely every fish you see.
If doubt creeps in then you may as well go home. That is the biggest mistake in my book.

Pete
Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I used to take shots too early before the ideal situation has set up. I take a lot of time to ensure that my first cast will be money nowadays, but it's something I had to overcome - adrenaline!

I will remove my shoes, crawl on hands and knees on coral with rod in teeth to get to the edge of shallow tailers nowadays.

Like many things in life you only get one chance at making a first impression.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Loosing your nerve on a screaming reel, blocking it just to hard because you think it will run you out of backing. Breaking off, then while reeling in the line you realise you can not judge how far 200 yards is when having the adrenaline pumping in your brain.... because I never heard or seen a fish that took all backing out.

Itīs when the tension mounts, the presure becomes to big and you make that stupid mistake...

Or walking around and having your line wrapped around something at the very best moment. This could be a rock, mangrove or your leg. But donīt forget about the loop of line that smacks around the fighting butt right before the drill should go on to the reel.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 AM

Keeping your palm off the reel can be more than difficult at times. 11 years ago when I was just starting to learn to fish for bones we were vacationing on Anagada. I was walking along the edge of a flat just where it got into some mangroves and deeper water. I was with my son who was 11 at the time.
There was a small pool, surrounded by small mangroves, no more than 10' off the shore line and nice bonefish were coming into that pool. I just kinda dropped the fly in front of them and one took it, headed toward a mangrove and my palm went to the reel. SNAP. I tied on another fly, the fish came back and I did the same thing. SNAP. Just couldn't keep my palm off the reel with the fish heading toward the mangroves. I tied on another fly, handed the rod to my son and told him " When he takes it let him go through the mangroves and then we will wade out past them and fight it. " He did exactly like I said and landed his first bonefish, on fly, that we estimated at 6 to 8 lbs. I knew what to do just couldn't make myself do it.
I have a great pic of my son holding that fish with a huge smile on his face but that was before digital for me. I need to scan that one.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 AM
In moderation

As Arubaman said having the line wrapped around something is extremely frustrating and as you get set up to cast it is a good idea to check that the line is not tangled around anything.

I remember a tournament in the Keys a few years ago. My guide saw a big tail from afar. We poled very slowly up to the fish, it must have been at least 14lbs. I made a perfect cast with my tasty toad fly. The bonefish stopped tailling and sucked in the fly. I strip set perfectly. The fish charged off. I had a loop of line wrapped around my foot. The leader went ping.
My reaction was on the lines of "good heavens" or words to that effect. I started jumping up and down, I almost threw the rod out of the boat, I also nearly jumped out of the boat.

But then again I am passionate about my fishing.

Pete
Old 05-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Satisfied

I've got a similar problem when I spot a fish in the middle of a cast, especially when bone fishing....I'm not the best SWFF and I get over excited. I too speed up and often times change direction w/out thinking.

Can't offer much of a solution other than that fault will dissapate the more you get nailed in the back of the head with a heavy fly! At least that's how it works for me. The best advice I can give you is listen to the guys above!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 PM

The biggest thing I see is fly placement errors. Either casting too far ahead of the fish and having to recast when the fish changes course, or casting too close or behind the fish. This usually happens as folks miss-judge just how much ground a bonefish covers when just poking along.

Another biggy is casting well past a school and striping flyline across the noses of the nearest fish, flushing to whole school.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Strip strike

As a new to Bone fishing fly fisher, I certainly had a problem with fly placement and casting in general but the biggest problem for me was the strip strike. I seem to start off ok but as my weeks fishing progressed I seemed to fall back to old habits and kept trying to raise the rod to hook fish. I knew what to do but as soon as it was time to set the hook, bamm up went the rod ! I kept telling myself strip strike but it just seemed to elude me.
So along with casting practise I also talk myself through a strip strike each time I make a cast, hopefully next year it will come more natural to me
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Hi Trev,

Just thought to tell you we are heading back to Acklins in a couple weeks (to get some details wrapped up and work on the Salina Point house) , with a stop in Fla to order the big boat! We plan on cranking on some blitzing Yellowfin and snoop out some bigger tarpon while we are there.

Do you need a pic of your big amberjack?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Bob

Hi Bob
Good to hear that things seem to be progressing down there, Looking forward to seeing you get set up with the new boat and hopefully chasing down some Tuna with you in the not too distant future.
Yes I would love a pic of the Amber jack if you have one. Thanks again Bob for a great time with you and David and the people of Acklins. Please keep me updated
All the best Trev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.