buying a t-130 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM

buying a t-130

Ive been searching for a sinking tip line for general trout use, rivers, lakes and streams (for a number 5 rod), mostly nymph fishing and sometimes streamers. Im looking for a "jack of all trades" sinking tip. Ive been offered a teeny t-130 line from a local fly shop.

I dont know much about this line and I would like some advice if it will be ok for my fishing needs. My impressions are the following, please let me know if Im mistaken:

-is the sinking part on those shooting head type lines too long (I think is about 24 ft.) for my intentions? Im afraid I wont be able to mend correctly or pull the whole 24 feet of line under the water for a new cast (my grade as a caster is around "C-") but the shop owner says it ok, that shorter sink tips wont serve me for my purpose.
-I asked him what about a 5-10 feet sinking tip, and according to him they are "an antiquity and nobody uses them anymore".

- I hear shooting tapers are prone to tangle up your leaders (wind knots, etc.) if you are not a good caster. will this be a problem?

-I hear you have to be able to get a lot of line out to correctly "load" your rod for a nice shot. Will I be able to cast correctly if I dont get the whole 24 feet out of the head out?

-If I bought that line and cut the shooting head to about 12 feet, would it cast ok?

Would it be better to get something like a "Rio streamer line" or a teeny mini-tip
for my fishing needs?? any recommendations??
thanks you
jero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Jero,

For what it is worth, I use Rio or SA sink tip lines( class II or III) for most of my trout & bass fishing in streams & rivers. If I need more sinking power I add some weight to the leader

For lakes I use a full sinking line( Rio deep 7 on a 6 or 7 wt rod) more often than not for subsurface fishing. If the fish on the lake are rising I use a floater of course

I very seldom use a full sinker in rivers, But where I fish there is really no need to either.

I use full sinking lines or fast sink tips such as Rio DC 350 on a 9 wt all the time in the salt water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.