Return of the deep waders ..... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Flats Rat

Return of the deep waders .....

.....this time its PERSONAL

I dumped the yak on the Housatonic on Sunday and had a lot of fun on the outgoing tide. The fish were well distributed and willing to hit any well presented fly. When I got to the Southern end there were a large number of fly guys and conventional guys. I would say that 75% of them were wading between waist and armpit depth. The fish were hugging the shore and hitting in about 3 feet of water, except where everyone was deep wading. I beached the yak and found a quiet spot (at least for a few minutes) until a handful of morons who, having successfully scewed up the fishing for everyone up-river, decided that I needed company.

Why do people do it? Here are a few thoughts and observations from Sunday:

1) "Must get out there where the spin guys are casting". Now what is interesting is, the spin guys weren't catching much - wade deep, chuck it out and wind it in - fast (of course) - not much to show for the effort. At least they were wearing neoprene waders and keeping warm

2) "Fish must be holding in certian spots". This guy walks downstream of me and wades out waist deep within range of my swing after seeing me take three fish in three casts. I think - well I could say "hey, you're standing on the fish" or just let him stay there until I nail his $600 GoreTex waders with my 2/0 Tiemco 811 Before that happens he sees another guy downstream hooking up and decides the fish must have moved. So, he legs it downstream - doesn't leave the water - sloshes down with the current, thigh deep, stumbles and almost goes arse over tit - (next stop is the other side of Long Island Sound) Hauls himself out and jumps in front of the guy downstream exclaiming - they're hitting well today aren't they!". Since he is singularly focused on the spot 60 feet below the guy downstream, he doesn't notice that me and the guys upstream are still hooking up.

3) "Hmmm, wind is tricky, fish seem to be hitting 10 feet out so if I wade out 10 feet (armpit depth, serious risk of a good drenching when the next lobster boat goes upriver) and cast straight downwind I can catch fish too"

4) "I paid $600 for these bloody waders and I'm going to get my money's worth!"

I know that I'm preaching to the converted here - but - for those who might be overcome by the irresistible urge to - "swim with the fishes" - please think before screwing up everyone elses fun.

Be cool, be safe
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Squire animal

Classic tale Adrian and one that gets repeated everywhere people fish.

Sheep & shepherd theory.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
If you're in range...

You're Splat-O-Matic fair game!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SplatMatic.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	6388   Click image for larger version

Name:	SplatMaticXX.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	6389  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I tend to stay shallow up here, and a recent experience down in Florida has me thinking should stay shallow EVERYWHERE.....waded out to a sandbar on Gulf Coast side of Long Boat Key (near Sarasota)....waist deep, but more shallow than surrounding water in front/behind me.....catching just tiny herringish fish, when a school of about 20 jack swim right past my legs...no time to recast before they were gone. Last time I wade out that far again!
Flydoc
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 AM

It's always good sport to catch a fish between a wader and the shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
resigned

I witnessed the same at the very spot you speak of. One guy says I should join him in the bowl he's standing in. I said maybe later. I cast from shore and hooked a nice fish right at his feet and he goes "What the f#@K!" I said sorry and he still didn't get it.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.