disassembling rod? - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 AM

disassembling rod?

the other day a casting instructor told me that in order for the rod to work at its best (and avoiding broken junctures) as a single unit the pieces have to be VERY STRONGLY attached. The thing is, its a bit hard to put it apart afterwards. He recommended carrying latex gloves in your rod case to help you twist the rod pieces free.
Grabbing the guides makes it easier but something tells me its not a smart thing to do...

any hints or tips?
thank you

ps. went stillfishing the other day following juro´s and frenchcreek´s advice. Caught myself a nice little trout BUT very violent he was. Had tons of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Leave the rod in cold water or apply ice / cold to the ferrule. Most of the time it will come apart easily.

Bracing the guides in between the fingers to add to the overall grip of the hand is not out of the question but never apply force to guides that is independent of the force being applied to the blank itself.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM

WAX THE FERRULES

Here is another trick, wax the male ferrule with simple candle wax. This does not prevent a tight fit when you put the rod together but it does prevent the "stuck" ferrule problem.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Jonesin...

I wax the male ends of the ferrules using a candle. I also agree with the latex gloves suggestion. I keep a couple dishwashing gloves in my fly tying closet in case I have some stubborn ones. You don't even have to put them on just wrap around the rod and twist. Wrapping a few large rubber bands around the rod will also work in a jam. Basically anthing that will help you grip the rod but not damage the finish. I also agree that you should not use the guides for leverage/grip.

Sean
Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
shelf liner

Pic up a roll of shelf liner the padded rubber kind at your local mart. Cut a couple of 4"x4" squares stick um in the car or in your vest. Grab each section with one and you will be able to take it right apart. I also wax the ferrules, but only use Parafin wax. It is used for caning and will be in with the canning supplies. Some of the chemicals in candles may attack the finish on your rod.

Skilly
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 PM

I am pretty new at this but my local fly shop owner echoed the waxing of the male end as well as twisting the blanks apart 1/4 of a turn.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Middle Aged Member

I had never had a problem with a stuck ferrule and never understood why, until this past weekend. In hindsight, I always gripped the rod at the grip and gave a little twist. I had the reel seat of my favorite rod come apart at the end of the last season and had repaired it. I used the rod to test out the repair and when taking it apart I took care to grip the blank instead of the grip and couldn't get it apart without a little help from my friends. Interesting, these little life lessons.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I've never had a stuck ferrule, though I've had a few that came close. I don't use wax or anything else. There's no need to jam the pieces together as hard as you can. As long as they're firmly attached you're fine. If you can't pull the pieces apart without using a special trick, then you're probably putting them together too tightly.

If for some reason you can't get them apart, the best trick I know is the put the rod behind both knees and grasp one section in each hand. Press your wrists apart using your knees. This gives you a great mechanical advantage since you can use your knees to press perpendicular to the rod with a lot of force. This is very difficult to do with just your arms because your arms aren't that strong compared to your legs, plus it's nearly impossible to really pull straight apart with just your arms. Add in a little twist if you have to.

As you said, never put torque on the guides unless you like fishing a rod without them.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:27 AM

I second the cold water suggestion. Science at its finest and cheap too. dip the rod in the water that you are fishing for 30 seconds and she'll separate every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.