Icebreaker Thank You - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Icebreaker Thank You

Thank's to Capt Ray for putting it all together,and for a great BBQ to boot.
I personally would thank Capt Rene Letourneau for having me aboard I had a blast.
It was nice seeing some old friends, and meeting some new ones.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Pencil me in.....

A special thanks to Mrs. Capt Ray....for making sure the BBQ was perfect and putting up with all of us.....great crowd this year
Old 04-28-2007, 07:13 PM

I also would like to extend a hearty thanks to Ray & wife for the BBQ & to Dave P for the boat ride

Maybe next time Dave we can catch something beside Ron's Line

It was nice to put some more faces with those names & see some of the ones I know again
Old 04-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Greenwich Cove was blanketed by fog as the flotilla of small craft launched one by one into the darkness. Huddled like ducklings in one tight grouping, Sean McDermott gave orders and the first striper sortie of the year was launched. The line of boats formed a string of beads, as the mother ship ventured into the darkness. Soon, boats began to peel off like fireworks covering the opposite shore. Radio silence was broken when Capt. Rene Letourneau and his first mate Bigcat hooked and landed the first striper. Our cover was blown and every striper knew now that the assault was on.

Steve DeNofa could be heard in the distance, “Dame the fog full speed ahead.” To which his first mate John Basser could be heard, “There’s a Dunkin Donuts ahead.” Poor Phil (Bonefishmon), the second mate on board was contemplating mutiny listening to this dribble.

Aboard the “Propwash,” MikeZ, and Porkslice headed for the Providence nightlife soon to realize that the Seekonk River was near by. They banged a few schoolies on the dropping tide and headed back toward the scales just in time to beat the clock. Nick and Fred followed in their wake to pick up any strays they may have overlined.

Like any conflict, casualties are a part of war. Jim W and Sean Ransom drifting along an UDL dinged a prop blade under heavy fire from small schoolies. Cast a Fly took a light skag hit as Adrian and Dan Devine accessed damage control. Both men would later hook up and drop both fish.

Dave Porreca and his crewmates of Warren and Ronnie did some good surveillance and located several schools of either pogies or alewives. It looked promising, but the bite never materialized. Fishing was very slow today but it was not because of lack of effort. Most of the boats were pulled by noon for the cookout. We had great weather for lunch. Skies had cleared and temperature was in the low seventies.

It takes a lot of collective effort from everyone to put together something of this magnitude. Obviously the attendance of more anglers is the most important factor planning this time. The more friends we have the better, regardless of fishing conditions or festivities afterwards. This year we had nineteen anglers far more than any other year.

Special Thanks go to Sean McDermott for co-chairing the event and the use of his boat.
What amazes me is the amount of volunteerism from boat owners. It’s down right hard to find enough boats to get everyone on the water but we did it. The amount of cooperation was amazing.

Slinger… Thanks so much! Year after year we depend on you
Capt. Rene… You were the deal maker. Without your vessel things would have gotten crowed.
JimW…. Nice to have you back with boat in tow. Jim is one of the original founders of the site.
Nick…Sweet ride! My wife calls you dear! Where does that leave me? LOL
Dave Porreca… Someone whom I can always count on. Your first born is only a few months away. Enjoy fatherhood. You’ll be a great dad.

Thanks guys. It’s always pleasure fishing with you year after year.
The donation to help offset the cost to fund the Fly Fishing Forum resulted in a total of $115.00.

Have a great season ahead.

Capt. Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM

Many thanks to all and especially Captain Sean for tolerating me on his boat. That's one sweet ride!

It was all alot of fun and good food, which is standard for these events. However the lasting memory that will be a cherished story for years to come is the swan that scored a direct hit on Sean's boat as it was moving along at ~ 30 MPH. That was amazing gunnery! That SOB must have been practicing that manuver for years! I'm quite sure Porkslice saved Sean's life by pulling him from the line of fire. He narrowly missed taking the full blast right in the kisser! No one could have survived that!
[Sean sorry I didn't stick around to help wash the boat ]
Old 04-29-2007, 05:13 AM
resigned

Steve DeNofa could be heard in the distance, “Dame the fog full speed ahead.” To which his first mate John Basser could be heard, “There’s a Dunkin Donuts ahead.” Poor Phil (Bonefishmon), the second mate on board was contemplating mutiny listening to this dribble.

Never give the Capt. your rod to cast. He might be the only bloke in the whole group that manages a legal size fish all day. JF then prceeds to ask me (all day long) "Was that your rod he caught that on?". Slinger (Steve) did an excellent job of keeping the slow fishing interersting. All of the local water is now familiar to me. Capt. Ray and his lovely spouse..........Thanks for a great meal! Ray. Looks like the moon over Naragansett will be kept at bay. Anyone reading this can ask Slinger what I'm talking about. Thanks also to Sean. Great gathering! Great food and a first class operation. Good to meet some new faces.

Phil
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Middle Aged Member

Big thanks to Ray, Sean and Mrs Ray.
Slow day catching but a few industrial grade schoolies up in the pristine backwaters of Providence were dredged up.

Thanks for the ride Nick. Aside from the ice cream headache from the trek up to Providence, I had a ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119_1948 (Custom).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	6374   Click image for larger version

Name:	119_1942 (Custom).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	6375   Click image for larger version

Name:	119_1947 (Custom).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	6376  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 AM

It was good to see all of you guys yesterday. Ray & Sean - thanks for putting this together - the location couldn't be better. The cookout was great, please also thank your wife for putting up with us.

I'm no founder, guess I've just been here a while - one of the great things about the site is how it brings people together for these trips and the information exchange.

I probably wouldn't have had the boat ready for the water if it wasn't for the icebreaker, thanks for getting me off to an early start.

Last edited by JimW; 04-29-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Next year for sure. I'm going to give up on the dull gun metal trout and fish the Icebreaker for sure. This is what the Forum is all about the great friends that you meet. FishHawk
Old 04-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Flats Rat

An absolutely great day with a great crowd.

Many thanks to Ray and Elise for the generous 'apres fish' hospitality.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Great to see that the tradition lives on. I'm bummed I couldn't make it this year (or next), but the report makes me feel like I was there with you. Looking forward to a great year of reports from you guys--have a great season!
Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Jonesin...

Great time as usual. Big thanks to Capt. Ray (and the Mrs.) for taking the reigns on this years event and for opening up his wonderful home to us for a great apres fishing feast. It was great to get out with Mike and Porkslice and get our first fish of the year. We had a chilly run up the bay but with the abundance and size of the fish it was well worth it.

And while it wasn't Stellwagen Nick and Fred felt right at home in Providence's own wildlife refuge.

Sean
Old 04-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Ray,
Once again thank you for inviting me and for your hospitatily. This was my first and won't be my last. Next year I'll make sure my boat is in the water. A special thanks must go to Dave Poracca for putting up with my stories for 5 hours. Dave, thank you for having me on your boat. The time out was especially appreciated. At my age one doesn't know when the prune juice will kick in.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Ray and Sean, thanks for setting this all up. Good time as usual with the gang from the site. Sure was nice feeling the wind (albeit a bit brisk!) in my face on the water again. It was great having you aboard Fred, we'll have to do it again on the bayside for sure! Hope my small craft didn't leave you to banged and bruised.

Ray and Mrs. S, thanks a bunch for the food. Awesome beans and burgers for sure!

Here's a quick video of Sean rolling out a nice cast right at the camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLQ8JLerU7Y
Old 04-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks!

Thanks to all who made my first Ice Breaker so memorable. Special thanks to Capt and miss Ray, also to Sean for having me aboard once again.
porkslice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.