Miramichi Black Salmon Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Miramichi Black Salmon Fishing

Black Salmon season is in full swing on the Miramichi, here are some of my pics from opening day.

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5273.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	6366

Name:	100_5288.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	6367

Name:	100_5272.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	6368
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
Sorry,but I just dont "get it"!Beau
Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM

Talking Miramichi Black Salmon Fishing

Bill has shed his Cabin Fever by catching some Kelts. He was fortunate that on April 15th the lower river was free of Ice. On April 21st, 22nd and 23rd Warm weather (in the 70's) caused significant Snow Melt and the River Rose around 8 feet. The upriver Icebergs, trees, grass and anything near the bank came down river with the flood. That flow included a lot of Salmon released from their icy winter dwelling. This weekend and next week should provide an entertaining fishery nearly two weeks after the false opening day. I have traditionally settled my own cabin fever in this manner and did so despite the unsettled conditions. It is good for the local communities and outfitters to get a financial boost after the long winter. It is good for fisherman to get a pull back on the line (often many of them). That is why they call it fishing! Well worth the trip!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM

I am surprised that they open the season for kelts

Forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but haven't those fish been in fresh water for 6-10 months and not eating? As skinny as they are and after the rigors of spawning it would seem that the effort they expend when hooked in that state would be detrimental to the fish, perhaps to the point of expiring.

Are these fish able to withstand being hooked and released, perhaps several times and still have the energy to convert to saltwater mode and survive to return to spawn again? I know I wouldn't do that to a steelhead.

Not making judgements. Just curious.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

the salmon are eating on the way out, and are very healthy, mortality is very low for these kelts. Water temp is great and they revive easilty. Way more dangerous to fish for them in warm summer water.

Jim Y
Old 04-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Miramichi Black Salmon Fishing

I agree with TXraddoc. Many of these fish are not skinny at all, some of them came into the river in October. They revive extremely well in the cold water. Early on they can be a bit lethargic (perhaps due to low water temperatures). They get to eat smelts on the way to the ocean (at which point fly fishing becomes more difficult). They are not as explosive as summer fish. They are nonetheless a nice quarry and you need only to hook a 40 incher to test your gear as the current and the weight of the fish are a battle.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Hey,Thats all well and good.But I still dont get it.Skinny fish on the way down that eat anything,Wooptydo.Thats a challenge!Take a picture of something waaaay below prime?I have caught them when pursuing fresh fish.Landed a bunch one day but only even gave mental thought to the 2-3 fresh ones.The kelts dont even get mentioned.Steelhead ,I do think [from what I have seen] are very much weakened on the down migration.Vulnerable to Eagles[witnessed that on a few ocassions]and seals.I can see it when your a kid or a "newbe",but even that shld only be good for once or twice.I just figure that anadramas fish have had a difficult battle to complete the spawn and I will let them rebuild and hope to meet up with them on the return to the river.Hopefully with longtail lice still attached to bodies that are positively out of proportion to their frame ,rather than vice versa!!Each to their own,but I will never "get it". Beau

P.S. I agree about the warm water in summer.No interest in doing that,no matter the size!

Last edited by beau purvis; 04-27-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:19 PM

Kelt fishing for me is a big no no, I dont call it sport and it should not be encouraged. I liken it to kicking Mike Tyson's ass when he is 70 and then bragging down the pub how you beat one of the greatest meanest fighters that ever lived when they are a shadow of their former glory. In my eyes a kelt is not a salmon its a weak skinny fish not a hard fighting solid fresh silver fish (the king of fish). If your happy to post pics of these fish on a public forum then thats up to you but I would be very embarrassed to say the least.

Last edited by wilbert; 04-28-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

I have never fished for kelts, although I have fished about 21 days a year for bright Atlantic salmon for the last 10 years strait, and have been going after bright salmon since I was a kid in Maine. I am not interested in going for kelts since for the time and effort to get there for me, I like going for the bright salmon and the sport of that game fish.

If other people get enjoyment from the kelts and there is no real harm demonstated, why be negative about it. Many of the New Brunswick outfitters get a significant amount of business from this and keeps them afloat for the bright salmon fishery.

I also spin fish for bass, catfish, and other species. Some fly-fishermen look down their noses at spin fishermen in general, I don't do that. Live and let live...

Tight Lines,

Jim Y

PS next up for me is a week on the Restigouche in June, should be prime!!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 PM

Nothing wrong with fishing for the fresh fish and catching a few kelts by accident, but to target the kelts on purpose is not sport and the outfitters / guides should not be justifying this to boost their earnings. Anyone found to be targeting kelts on my local river would be thrown off the water and black listed, its as simple as that. We try to be as sporting as possible and to be consevation minded for both the returning fish and those going back to sea.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jim -

Please tell me about that salmon in your profile picture!

Juro
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-29-2007, 12:33 AM

What kind of site would this be if everyone kept there mouth shut when they saw a chance to let someone know there is another opinion or to see another side to something.I would not say that is Looking down their nose.I say it is trying to be helpfull!!!I see these forum's as a chance to give something back to the sport by helping others up the curve of both technique and conservation,if they desire to evolve!If you believe a fishery would be better off if certain practices were not done you have to try to pull others to your side.Otherwise we would all still be killing fish.We would not be asking that dams be removed.Everyone would still be using bait!If anything we are where we are because our sport did not have enough people that cared about or worked for anything other than where and how to catch more fish.Beau
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Beau,, and others.
The alternative is to remove the fly only spring fishery and open it up to Live bait and 6" 3-trebled Rapalas!!! You do the math on this! While your opinions are valid,, the alternative to a spring kelt fishery on a single fly is a horror show to say the least. Having a fishery in the first place is in itself a sound conservation practice.
Salmon Chaser
Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 PM

Given that alternative there is no choice,obviously!At least the fish arent edible and therefore dont get killed like they do on the the way upriver!You know,Ive been around a long time.Spent a lot of time on creeks and rivers watching salmon and Steelhead struggle to replace themselves.I have realized that they have been mismanaged for about 40 some yrs of my 62 yrs.How depressing is that?To see the future and see nothing smart or preventative happening!Everything that we were always assured of ;would not hurt the runs,would improve or replace the natives with supper fish,was a crock!It just amazes me how frozen and old school some brains are.But you are right if that is the choice.The lodge owners would probably be able to get Kharlovka prices and be able to skip spring if they would have been more concerned about good fisheries management yrs ago.But even if they had been there are the other guys.The customers .The loggers. The dams for industry and power.The apple growers,etc, who were successful along with industry in replacing one of the worlds wonders of protien generation with dams that favored carbs and industry on the Columbia system.Politicians are great arent they?The guys that dont give a damn and want to eat salmon and say to hell with the next generation.There is also a special breed that is very good at fishing and are total pigs with no respect of the fish.Pull up em into the rocks and almost beat them up before release.They would not release any if not for regs.I released fish in the 60's.Just another notch on their gun.And then there is always the scum of the earth poacher!I have waited forty yrs for old school to become new school! It is happening too slowly!!Beau

Last edited by beau purvis; 04-29-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 PM

hear hear

I'm with you Beau

No need to harras spawned fish until they come back recooperated

no sport in it

my two and a half cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.