Gummies - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Gummies

I would like to make/tie up some gummy minnows, does anyone know of a site that shows a step by step for these ?
Am I correct that they are made with two different colors of Sili skin ?
Any help here would be great, Pete I know you are into them somewhat, maybe you can point me in the right direction
thanks all Trev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Trev,

Get some Road Slick, Green Splash and Mother of Pearl, which is sort of clear.

For a two inch gummy...
I like to use Gamy SC 15's for this fly, in 2/0. Wrap some lead wire, about 8 wraps or so, around the hook mid shank. Cut across the Road slick strip semidiagonally leaving a one inch wide at the head and 1/2 inch wide at the tail bit of material. Fold this over the hook shank. I like to angle the material so that the hook slants down from the belly, maximizing the gap. Cut to shape with a tying scissors. Cut a narrow 1/4 inch strip of the green and fold over the body as the back of the minnow. Stick on pyrismatic eyes. Cut a two inch wide at the head by one inch at the tail bit of MOP. Fold this over the whole minnow, and trim the bottom (belly of the minnow), leaving a small over lap of the clear MOP. Shape to a tapered tail. Trim and tie off the head with a few wraps of light colored thread and whip finish

This is not how the instructions that come with the material lay out the construction, but it works just as well, holds up very well and uses a fraction of the material...at several bucks for a small strip. It takes a little practice to not get the sticky side stuck all over yourself!

You will need two MOP for every one Road Slick and a Green will go a long way making backs. To make a floater, fold and zap a gap some crease fly foam over the hook rather than wraping lead.

We have caught just about everything from snappers to tuna on these, and in Belize it is THE fly when casting to tarpon around bait balls and diving pelicans.

Bob
Old 05-10-2007, 08:17 PM

I've already substituted perminant marker for the colored stripe on the back.
Another trick is to tie pearl mylar tubing over the hook first then the first layer of sili skin, looks pretty cool. Bob's advise on how to save material is very good directions that come with the material seem very wasteful. The stuff is STICKY and can easily stretch out of shape it takes a little practice. My first one or two ended up balled up in the trash.
They do seem to catch almost everything that swims.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 AM
In moderation

Hi Trevor

The gummies I tie are very similar to the instructions that you get in the pack of silliskin. However as Bob says these instructions are wastefull. The siliskin is 2inches wide and I find this long enough for my bonefish flies.
I use metalic silver as the base with a fine strip of road kill for the back and cover the whole thing in mother of pearl.

When tying or assembling make sure you don't stretch the siliskin as you can get into all kinds of problems.

Joe's idea with the permanent marker is good.

I also use #4 hooks. My favourite brand for these flies are Daiichi 2450 as they have a longer shaft that the SC15 and are still light weight.
There is a description of the floating gummy in the fly tying section.

The way to stop the siliskin sticking is to wet your fingers with believe it or not - water.
This stops it sticking to you you but it still sticks to it's adhesive self.

Pete
Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Thnks

Bob, Pete
Thanks for the info I'll give them a whirl, I think they will also work just great for the Small mouths this summer.
The couple Gummies I had that Bob lent me in Acklins worked really well on Jacks and snapper in Mexico ( I owe you more than a few flies I think Bob).
I really like the picture I see in your piece on Bonefishing with gummies "Pete" that compares a Gummy to the real thing, no wonder they catch fish !
thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.